Trippy kaleidoscope projection

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone must have already thought of this, but while couch potato-ing on CPF last night, a lightbulb went off in my head, and I grabbed the kaleidoscope I picked up at a garage sale last weekend, along with my Pelican PM6 and my Longbow Micra. My thought was that it should be possible to project an image from the kaleidoscope onto a wall using a flashlight. It did indeed work, although somewhat out of focus, and it was pretty trippy in a dark room (a little smoke and some Deep Purple tunes would have enhanced the effect I'm sure) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Both the PM6 and the Micra worked, although the bezel size of the Micra fit the diameter of my kaleidoscope better. Oh, and the secret is to shine the light in the end opposite the end that you would normally put your eye to. Shining the light into the eye end gets you nothing special. Projecting the image onto a wall about 2-3 feet away seemed to give the most intense image. I also tried a lens I had laying around the house to see if I could sharpen the focus on the projection, but this only worked well when I was within 4 or 5 inches of the wall.