Turquoise Photon vs Turquoise ARC vs Cyan LS

One001

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know why the Photon II Turquoise is closer to a light blue color compared to the ARC Turqouise which is more of a green color? Will the ARC LS Cyan be closer to the Photon Turquoise or ARC Turquoise? That is, would the LS Cyan be more on the light blue side or more on the green side?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Photon overdrives its LED to a substantial degree. And when blue-green LEDs are overdriven, they exhibit a spectral shift towards blue.

Wait until the batteries in your turquoise Photon start to poop out, and watch it start shifting towards green.

As for your other question, I am not qualified to answer because I do not have an Arc AAA or Arc LS in that color, and therefore have no basis for comparison.

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
Turquoise/blue-green is an odd colour. Try this: use a white LED for a while and then try the turquoise and it will appear quite green. Try a green LED for a while and the same turquoise appears cyan. I guess this is the automatic white balance of your eyes and/or brain screwing with your head.

As Craig says, as the battery voltage drops there is a noticable shift towards green. I have an Infinity and Arc-AAA and they both look similar colours. The Infinity with a 1.7V lithium is a lovely cyan colour (for a while). A cyan LS is on the shopping list
smile.gif

APW

Newly Enlightened
I was just about to ask similar question about the more green in blue-green LED. It appears that I have underdriven them. But when you do get that cyan colour, it means you have overdriven them, and it's warm.

No wonder they used blue-green in traffic light and they underdriven them for long-life and so it appears greener.

One001

Newly Enlightened
With this blue-green color being so voltage dependant, I would think that the color of your Cyan beam in an ARC LS would depend on what power pack you are using. The 2 AA giving the bluest beam, the 123 less blue, and the single A the greenest beam. Is this a correct assessment? But would the greenest beam still be bluer than a fresh Turquoise ARC because of the different wavelength?
confused.gif

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
As for your other question, I am not qualified to answer because I do not have an Arc AAA or Arc LS in that color, and therefore have no basis for comparison.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hold your horses, o exalted one! I told you I'd mail you the cyan Arc LS when I get it!
smile.gif

One001

Newly Enlightened
Stingmon, you are right. My Arc AAA Turquoise is looking noticeably green now. I was thinking of getting a Photon II Turquoise because I like the light blue shade, but will it start looking green pretty quick too?