Aluminum Cylinder Needed: 21mm X 5mm

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need a cylinder of aluminum for a project to be used for a heatsink. 21mm in diameter, roughly 5mm tall. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

unnerv

Enlightened
If your specs don't need to be exact 7/8 aluminum rod is just over 22mm, and can be cut and cleaned up pretty easily with a hacksaw and file or better on lathe. If it needs to be more precise, a lathe would probably be the best way to go. If you don't find a local solution, PM me and I could probably turn one for you if your not in a big hurry.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, the measurements for the diameter need to be exactly 21mm. It will slide into the body of a flashlight I am modding. The height of 5mm can be a little + or - of that figure. If you can turn one, how much would you like for your trouble?

If you can do this, then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

unnerv

Enlightened
If I have something that is close in size at home already, not much, maybe a buck plus shipping. If I actually have to buy stock, probably just what the minimum cost it would be to get the stock and the shipping. Lemme check and see what I got at home. If I can find a scrap left over that is big enough, you can just pay the shipping.

Also if you have calipers you may want to take an exact measurement of the opening. Use the smallest measurement you can find in the whole diameter. As little as 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch could make the difference between it fitting or not if you are going for precision. If there is a shelf that this is going to sit on, it could be a little less critical since we could slightly undersize and still be close.

I'll let you know what I got at home or if I will need to order materials.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no calipers. Just did a measurment with a tape measure. 21mm should fit fine. Actually, a nickle is just about the right size but JUST ever so slightly [a hair width] smaller. As far as shipping, if you do have a scrap, I have $3.00 in my paypal account that should be enough, I would hope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

unnerv

Enlightened
I found a 4 inch piece of 1 inch round, so I'll try to get it done sometime this weekend for you. I'll do 21mm diameter by 5mm thick. PM me with your snail mail address. I'll let you know what the shipping is after I ship, I am sure it will be less than $3

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you,unnerv for the help you were going to give. Another person [over the weekend] decided that he wanted to help me out with it.

Thank you for your willingness! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif