The Perfect Knurling

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I finally found it.

It is not as rough as SF ... definitely more grippy than the almost non-existant knurling on the Arc LS ... not as abrasive as the Arc AAA ...

... and yet it is very grippy, absolutely non-lethal for your cloth and other things in the same pocket and will not fail you when wet.

It is this one:

ll_vx2_AAAA_tailcap.jpg

ll_vx2_knurling.jpg

Little pyramids without sharp edges but protruding just enough to give you good grip.

I found it on some LedLenser lights ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
I admit, the host of this fine knurling has some weaknesses ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Kirk

Enlightened
Kiessling,
After staring at the second photo, an effect of the lighting on the upper part of the image (starting about 1 inch from the left edge and a 1/4 inch from the top) tricks the eye to make it appear the knurling is actually little diamond-shaped pits or holes. I was thinking, would this kind of "reverse-knurling" be grippy enough to be useful, but not tear up your pockets?
Kirk

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
Actually, my arc lsh-s' tsp-123 has just that reverse knurling. It doesn't match the head knurling, unfortunately, but the tsp's is great. Exactly what Kirk said, grippy but not too abrasive.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernhard, this looks like the cut checkering that you find on some firearms. I like it particularly. It is usually grades in "lines-per-inch". Is this sample about 20 LPI?

Britt

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... yepp, I am constantly falling for the "hey-those-are-holes"-thing, too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Britt, it is about 24 LPI, but measured only with my eye and thumbnail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernhard

lightbox

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kirk said:
Kiessling,
After staring at the second photo, an effect of the lighting on the upper part of the image (starting about 1 inch from the left edge and a 1/4 inch from the top) tricks the eye to make it appear the knurling is actually little diamond-shaped pits or holes. I was thinking, would this kind of "reverse-knurling" be grippy enough to be useful, but not tear up your pockets?
Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Inova uses the reverse knurling on their X5T and X1. It's only on a little strip at the end of the light so I don't know how it would feel if the main body of the light was designed this way. It looks nice though.

Lumen

Newly Enlightened
Is that a Coast V2? I don't know anything about the knurling, but I remember it being a really bright light for its size. Am I right? Was thinking on purchasing one, but not until I verified that the housing that held the leds on this light was not made of plastic.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It is a LedLenser V2 AAAA Law Enforcement and uses 4 x AAAA batteries driving a LS with a Fraen optic or something similar.
It has to be distinguished from the V2 Triplex that uses 3 x N-Cell to drive 3 x 5mm LED in a non-knurled housing.
I'd think twice before purchasing this light, not only because of the exotic batteries but also because there's better out there.

Vx2.jpg

This is the same light in black using 3 x AAA batteries.

bernhard