Lumamax L4 "Useful" output

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumamax L4 \"Useful\" output

The ads say about 1 hour at 65 lumens, "and about 2 hours of useful output" (or somesuch). What would you L4 owners say is about the lumen level of the "useful" output?

Thanks.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lumamax L4 \"Useful\" output

Mine gets dim quite quickly after it drops out of regulation. Useful output? Maybe about 30 mins after regulation which is about an hour. That's what I find to be "Useful". Batteries are changed usually soon after the first hour. Who wants a dim L4 anyway?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love the L4, I think it is one of the better lights out there considering its size and nice flood beam. It is not a thrower but most of my light usage is at 25yards or less, usually less.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think the "useful" output is very useful. It will still light up though, but it won't get you very far.

Kiu

Enlightened

Most of the the time I throw away the 123's after it fall out the regulation at about 60mins.The say "useful" output is no more useful for me.
Now, I use the PILA's with it. So dont worry about cost of batt.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened

I find that it's "usefull" output does indeed last about 2 hours for me with the disposable batteries. it's enough light to not trip over stuff and can still indeed be usefull. But I will usaly still change the batteries and maby save the spent batteries for emergancy use if needed.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's ARC AAA-like levels, then that's plenty "useful" for me. What do you think?

Thanks.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I seem to recall reading somewhere that "useful output" was defined as being able to see well enough to put a key in a lock. That's a level way below the Arc AAA -- useful only for a few up-close needs.

Paul