KL4/E2d mods or not?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a E2d and a KL4 head is coming soon but I also have two ARC4+ too which leads into the real question(s).

J.S. Burly will be selling a 123A Li-Ion rechargable in a few weeks. They will work fine in the ARC's but a stack of two is around 8.4v which is too high for the E2d I've been told. It's been mentioned although I never heard of it that problems can arise while stack two, in like exploding!!

I'd like to use rechargables, so what are my options for the KL4 on the E2d? What about using two rechargable 123A in the future. Are there problems with stacking two?

FrUitSkI

Newly Enlightened
I thought the pila 168s fits the E2 body and should give you something like 50 min of runtime on the kl4
please correct me if i'm wrong

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the Pila 168s is the rechargable for you. Gives approx. 50 minutes runtime before shut-off.
Using 2 of the rechargable 123s in series is not reccommended because of the danger of reverse charging. They will both discharge at different rates, and if one cell gets drained too quickly, the other cell will try charging it. The R123s dont (yet) have any kind of protection circuitry, so there is danger of overcharging with this setup. You probably havent heard of any incidents simply because there arent that many in circulation.

And 2 of them will most definately pop the MN03 bulb in the E2D.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Yep, the Pila 168s is the rechargable for you. Gives approx. 50 minutes runtime before shut-off.
Using 2 of the rechargable 123s in series is not reccommended because of the danger of reverse charging. They will both discharge at different rates, and if one cell gets drained too quickly, the other cell will try charging it. The R123s dont (yet) have any kind of protection circuitry, so there is danger of overcharging with this setup. You probably havent heard of any incidents simply because there arent that many in circulation.

And 2 of them will most definately pop the MN03 bulb in the E2D.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you using a Pila 168S in a E2 yourself or just stating that 50 min. time from a page on JS Burly's site? I've been told once already the the lower voltage of 3.7v compared to 6v with two Lithiums won't work.

Is this "one battery charging the other" thing something that happens "only" with a Li-Ion 123A? This is called a "unbalanced" pack in the RC community. I posted a question in a RC forum about this but so far, nobody bothered to reply. I've seen this happen many times where I used a pair of Ni-MH and charged them as a pair, one will be charged good while the other won't. Some RC batteries come with taps to each cell in the pack just for balancing. Some don't so they rip the shrink wrap off to get to each cell.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, my mistake. Im running it on an E2e with a 5 watt PRT being driven at 700mA. This is roughly the same as a KL4 bezel.

You are quite right, the Pilas wont run the MN03 properly. It lights, but is very dim and yellow. I suspect the lamp wont last very long on Pilas.