Interesting day at Home Depot for a Flashaholic

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad and I went to Home Depot today to look at closets.

On our way out, we looked for the flashlight section, just to check if they had anything new. As a special product we found a 1MCP Husky spotlight. It was the only flashlight around...so my dad inquired. The employee pointed out the new section of the flashlights, right by the exit.

They have an okay selection, nothing too special. I looked at the eye level stuff first, and then moved my way down....

Then guess what I saw at the bottom of the flashlight section. I saw Maglites. They were LOCKED UP! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif What are they thinking? Maglites don't need to be locked up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif Who would want to steal a Maglite anyways?

Well my dad pointed out that by them locking them up they won't sell as much as they would if they weren't locked up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Well before we left, dad had to make his true flashaholic impulse buy. We bought the Husky 1MCP spotlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif It's sweet! I haven't been able to find hardly anything about it on the internet though. Charging as I write this...

P.S. In case you can't tell, I am abosolutely discusted whenever I see Maglites for sale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
stockwiz - could the "more expensive items" be used as an impact weapon as easily as a m*glite can ?
that is probably why they were locked up

Skyline

Enlightened
Price is only one factor to determine whether something needs to be locked up. The other, more important factor is whether the item is frequently lifted (stolen). I'm betting they've had an unusually high number of incidents involving Maglite shoplifting.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skyline probably has it right -- they're locked up because they're more often stolen. I doubt it would be because of the possibility of weapon use -- axe handles, machetes, crowbars, etc are displayed openly.

I guess I don't get it. Why all the negative passion about Maglites. They're good, solid products that deliver value for cost. 99% of the people want one thing from a flashlight -- light. They other 1%, like me, will pay more (lots more) for something that produces cool gadget factors along with the light.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interesting day at Home Depot for a Flashaholi

True but don't forget that the reason why CPF existed is because they are catered more to the 1% of flashlight aficionadoes who knows how to appreciate a better light than a Maglite.

jbrett14

Enlightened

They are not locked up at our local Depot, but I never see anyone looking at them either.

I'm sure that Husky spotlight is made by another manufacturer, which is why you probably won't find much info on it. I too was tempted to buy this same light, but so far, from my experience: The best spotlight for the money has been Wal-Mart's $14.99 rechargeable spotlight. It is brighter, with more throw, and superior beam quality than several other 1MCP spotlights that I have (Coleman, etc.) that cost twice as much.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

M*glite was best (or one of the best) flashlight 20 years ago. Believe it or not, some people still live in 80's
They never heard of Surefire, Streamlight Arc and ....

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to wonder why Mag doesn't update its line. A sputtered reflector makes an enormous diference in beam quality and that might enhance sales. I also wonder why they haven't come out with LED models. It almost seems as though they want to become obsolete.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fivemega- I think I still have one 20yr+ old maglite. I could probably put batteries in it and it would light up! I also have the SL's, SF's, Arc's you speak of (I spent a plesant 1/2hour last night in a darkened room playing with my Arc4+) so I guess I fit in this forum somewhere.

Many things have been proven by time -- John Browning's 1911 pistol design, Cessna's 170/172 airplane, Mr. Singer's sewing machine, etc. They're all manufactured, in very similar form, today. I don't think the Maglite quite fits in that category, but it has proven itself over time.

This got me to thinking (a dangerous thing) -- if you could have only one flashlight for the rest of your life, what would it be? That's probably already been done to death on this forum, but, if anyone's interested, let's start a new thread and return this one to Home Depot.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
I have to wonder why M_g doesn't update its line. A sputtered reflector makes an enormous diference in beam quality and that might enhance sales. I also wonder why they haven't come out with LED models.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's proabaly that their design is wildly successful as-is. It's cost effective, good quality, and a great seller. Why fix something that's not broken? Considering their market share, I doubt they'll do anything new until sales start to show a consistent downward trend.

Plus the fact that, for some strange reason, most of the competition usually finds themselves driven to the brink of bankruptcy due to court costs and lawyer fees.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

My Husky 2.25 million cp spot is made by Vector. Manual points this out. If bulb filament is front to rear instead of horizontal to bulb, then it is a Vector. Read your manual for 1Mil spot, it should say who to order the bulb from.

Bill

simbad

Enlightened

Here in old Europe the Mags are not very cheap like in US, a 2D Mag is around 45 euros ($55), that price makes you compare it with other brands, cheaper and better like the Energizer Double Barrel alluminum 4AA xenon, and is it made in the states also, mags are like a legend but obsolete,I find it quite strange why they don't upgrade these lights

davidra

Enlightened

$55 for a 2D Mag? Now THAT sux...just saw them for $15.99 at Wally World....

simbad

Enlightened

yeah, I ve paid around $18 for my first Mag in a Home Depot in Maine years ago...

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
rfdancer said:
Jbrett14 - do you have a name or model number for this spotlight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

jbrett14

Enlightened

Aaron & Richard: The Wal-Mart spotlight that I bought for $14.99 has no brand name whatsoever on the box or the light. It just says "Cordless Spotlight" on the light. I just pulled out of my files, the manual for this light, and to my surprise, it is actually a 500,000 CP model CS-48. It uses an H3 6V 55W halogen bulb. It has a 25 minute runtime. It is made in China. It has a nice red rubber bezel ring, a hook for hanging, and an integrated threaded nut in the bottom of the handle. It came with a 120v and a 12v charging plug. I was shocked when I first opened the box to find that the quality seemed quite good for the price. The feel of this spotlight in the hand is the best that I have handled of any spotlight, and it is a very nice size, not huge like some. It seems to fit my hand perfectly like a Sig handgun, unlike my Coleman which is a bit squared kind of like a Glock handgun. Anyway, this light has a better light output than 2 other Coleman lights that I have with 1MCP. Wal-Mart had tons of them at Christmas time, but I still see them on the shelves.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

To be honest, although I am very much educated towards Surefires, SLs, Arcs, Inova and the likes, I still have a soft spot for Maglites although I did not really purchase one. They are lights that you can really depend on in the jungle for nights without having to change batteries. They are tough enough. And they could be used as a baton if you are laden with things and do not wish to lug an additional baton or rod. Like it or not Maglites are considered one of the pioneers of power flashlights and can be considered the father, or grandfather of flashlights.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I walked my dog last night using a 3D w/ 4CNimH and a Whitestar 3cell bulb exiting through Acrylite.

PLENTY bright with good spill. I just wish it would defocus bigger before getting the HOLE!