Practical environmentalism

idleprocess

Flashaholic
This is in a similar vein to Darell's post How to Sell Electric Vehicle/Solar Power?

There's a persistent image of self-described "environmentalists" as ELF "commandos," tree-huggers, and far-left field leftists that advocate top-down solutions for environmental problems.

How about practical things that individuals can do without trying to change the world? There are scads of things that individual people can do without radically changing their lifestyle that make fiscal sense as well as providing whatever warm fuzzy they get from doing a good thing.

I confess to being a big fan of Natural Capitalism, so if some of these ideas sound familiar, you know the source. Some of these ideas are immedaitely practical, others have longer-term payout, and yet others might not cut it for most.

Solar / Wind Power
There are advantages to owning your own power plant - especially if you're far from the grid, experience frequent power outages, or pay absurd rates for power. Solar arrays in sunny parts of the country have been known to pay for themselves within 4-6 years and provide 20-30 years of reliable power. Supplement a solar array with a small wind turbine, and you'll likely always be generating power.

Also, "solar shingles" are becoming more widely available. These shingles cost more than conventional shingles, but are more substantially durable and relatively easy to install.

Central DC power supply
In most homes, there are a slew of small electronic appliances (answering machines, cellphone chargers, battery chargers, cordless phones, etc) that have a cheap, inefficient AC/DC power "brick." A centralized, high-efficiency DC power supply producing the most common voltages could easily power most of the small appliances in a home.

The 2.1mm center-positive barrel connector has become a standard for most low-draw DC appliances, so it's not hard to see standardized plugs at the receptacle-end for varying DC voltages.

Super-insulation
There are off-the-shelf products available that could easily reduce the energy required to heat/cool buildings by tremendous factors.

Passive heating/cooling
It's possible to design buildings that require minimal mechanical subsystems to maintain a comfortable year-round temperature. This is possible with careful analysis of regional weather patterns and taking advantage of static conditions at the site of the building (ie, one side of the building that's always in shade, etc). Usually, the only systems required are for air circulation.

These setups reduce a utility bill substantially, since heating and cooling are typically the largest energy expenditure in buildings.

Composting & recycling
All sorts of organic waste goes into landfill that just occupies volume and often fails to decompose. Compost makes good fertilizer, and it's free.

Recycling is obvious - recycle in volume and it's often worth money to individuals if you're willing to make a trip to a scrap business every now and then.

Lanscape with native plants
Native plants are already adapted to the local climate, thus they require less irrigation, fertilizer, etc than imported plants.

In semi-arrid Dallas, an amazing amount of water is expended every summer (during water shortages, no less!) keeping introduced Bermuda grass an unnatural green. Native prarie grasses can stick out the toughest drouts without irrigation.

There are all sorts of other things that "can be done," but they require some changes in the economy, be they through regulation, consumer pressure, or looking beyond business methods that are currently taken for granted.

Comments?

EDIT : spelling, touch-ups

idleprocess

Flashaholic
...and another thing!

Compact florescent (CF) lighting
CF bulbs last more than 10x as long as typical incadescent bulbs and consume a fraction of the energy for equal light output.

In a decade or so, perhaps LEDs will surpass florescent in terms of energy efficiency (and certainly lifespan).

I've had several moderately-priced CF bulbs for more than 3 years that are still going strong.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The two absolutely most used lamps at my house have CF bulbs (living room lamp and desk lamp). And the next most used (bathrooms CF and garage tubes) also have flourescent bulbs.

Some of the other stuff MIGHT be doable at my next residence....

Like I've said, I TRY to be good. That's the best I can do.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The extremists in the environmentalist movement have got it all wrong - you can't expect people to abandon all modern conveniences for some vague notion of being "environmentally conscious." That's no way to sell an idea.

tygger

Enlightened
I have to agree with you on all points above. Practical environmentalism makes the most sense and is relatively easy for most people to practice. I had the very same thought about building a home so that it totally takes advantage of the natural wind currents and airflow patterns. Seems that most energy people use is heating/cooling their homes. Another energy saver is a digital climate control with a timer. That way you don't waste energy when out at work. Also, the florescent lighting is the way to go. I still see so many homes with 100W outside porch lights blazing away til morning. The most common problem i notice however is that people don't use florescents properly. Meaning they install a compact spiral in a clear glass globe which usually gives off a terrible light. The quality of the light emitted would be drastically improved with a simple frosted globe. Just something i notice when i walk my dog at night. Those bare 100w equivalent CF's really blind the eyes.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have many great suggestions, idleprocess. I believe that this nation's economy could be brought into the black by producing, for the world and ourselves, the very products that you mentioned.

The USA has made brief attempts in this direction since the 1960's but with federal support going to the existing energy producers, it's a tough sell. A little top-down leadership is necessary to help co-ordinate the national energy initiative.

This is now, more than ever, a security issue. If 250+ billion dollars can be spent on Iraq, I'd think similar funding to achieve energy independence would be less painful and would stimulate the economy.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, I forgot one!

My Porch Light has a CF bulb. It is on all during the night.

Lots of insulation, digital timer on the AC... this is a rent house. I don't want to give my A$$hole landlord ANYTHING! And chances are, we are out of here within 6-8 months.

That's why I say next residence gets more good stuff.

Darell

Flashaholic
Wow! Hard to keep up with this rash of environmental threads of late!

The number of jobs that can be CREATED with this trend is staggering, though the only thing we typically hear is how many jobs in the traditional energy sector may be lost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

There are so many simple things to do that don't crap our style or cost us anything. Many of them save us money at the same time that they save our resources and increase our national security. Great list you have started, Idle. Somewhere around here we have a thread from long ago about "what do you do to save energy?" It has some interesting stuff in it, and I know I put a pretty long list in there. I'm pretty sure that it included showering with my wife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Practical...

I know Darell won't like this and I have said it before. But I honestly believe if they had made the EV1 look like a regular Saturn sedan they would have had about 4 times the demand.

Along that same line, once CF lights started to look like "bulbs" they became a LOT more popular. So I think it is hard for people to stray from what they are used to things looking like.

I think this is one of the reasons the VW TDI diesel and the Toyota Prius are catching on. People can get in to new technology, which is a change without having to change in the "looks" area. Changing both at the same time is just too much for some people.

As for me, I try to do things that are very practical, yet environmentally friendly. I guess I am more of an efficiency freak then anything else. I hate to think I am using 60w of power to make 20w of light, so I have to switch over to CF's.

We have
Solar Power
Central DC power supply (saves about 90% of using 120vac well 100% since
it is run from solar power)
Super-insulation (more expensive to install, but already paid for itself)
And 90% CF's

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
idleprocess ...This is a great list!

It really kills me when I drive by new housing developments (and there are lots of them!), and none of the houses are set up for passive solar. It is so simple!

1. Long side of house east-west to catch the south winter sun
2. Lots of glass to the south
3. Overhangs to shade the glass in the summer (high solar angle)
4. Thermal mass in the winter sun drenched floor to even out temps (tile/concrete)
5. Insulation under the concrete part of the slab
6. Minimal glass on east, west and north
7. 2x6 construction with good insulation in outer walls
8. Air lock entry way
9. Good, double glazed, "low e" windows (will pay for themselves)
10. On-demand water heaters

Absolutely nothing high tech in this list!

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
Practical...

I know Darell won't like this and I have said it before. But I honestly believe if they had made the EV1 look like a regular Saturn sedan they would have had about 4 times the demand.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think anybody will argue that the EV1 is one goofy-looking little rocket. But I do have a contention that the looks had ANYTHING to do with its popularity. People actually have to know it exists before they can be turned off by the unfamiliar looks!

But yes, you make a good point. It is why we should set up placeabo filling stations to make EVs more popular. Instead of conveniently filling up in the comfort of their garages, we can tell new owners that they need to drive out of their way and stick this nozzle into a filler port every few days. Make 'em stand around in the cold for a few minutes and charge 'em something steep. Maybe drip a bit of nasty, smelly stuff on their shoes for good measure.

Oooho! I really crack myself up sometimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brock and I really are of similar minds. We're both efficiency nuts. For us it is more of a hobby and a challenge. And the great part is that when we win, everybody really wins. That's my kind of game - I mean if you like warm-fuzzy feel-good games. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I like it Darell!

Little bit here, little bit there.

My tires on the beast are huffed up to the full 80 in back, and 65 in front (any more in the front and it gets flighty). My alignment is toyed with (Toe only) to get no side wear on my tires. Very low drag!

Got CFs everywhere I can practically put them.

Run the AC a bit less cool, and the heat a bit less hot.

Try to be good citizen. It's all I can do!

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
The number of jobs that can be CREATED with this trend is staggering, though the only thing we typically hear is how many jobs in the traditional energy sector may be lost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

BING! In the extreme fantasyland example, let's assume we can produce practically unlimited energy for close to zero marginal cost (after the purchase of equipment - which becomes increasingly cheap with economies of scale). This could be in the form of a home solar array coupled with fuel cells and hydrogen storage tanks underground (use the solar power to produce hydrogen, use that to feed the fuel cells and fuel the car). My total energy budget would go from, lets say, $500/month (electricity, natural gas, and gasoline combined) to $0. That's $6000/year I now have to spend. Keep in mind that the cost of most goods would be drasticly lower as well, since the cost of power used in their production and distribution will have disappeared.

What could this do for our economy? It would be a huge boost. I guarantee it would create a LOT more jobs than currently exist in the energy industry.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
One thing that Natural Capitalism went to great pains to emphacise was a systematic approach to practical environmental living rather than a magic bullet approach; ie spend $5000 super-insulating a home and eliminate $10,000 worth of A/C and furnace capacity (or eliminate them outright!) for immediate payoff instead of trying to justify upgrades on energy savings alone.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I think a tremendous disservice was done to the uptake of BEVs when the concept vehicles (and the EV1 itself) were all
made to look to distinct from production vehicles with rounded edges, wheel skirts, and odd bubble shapes.

The left-swinging leftist environmentalist crowd that deperately wants BEVs to look cute and harmless (and nothing like evil ICE cars!) do not represent the majority of car buyers out there.

Brock

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Seriously I do think that is part of the case. I don't think the Prius or Civic hybrids are taking off just because of the hybrid part, well they are, but it is because they look and have the room that people are accustomed to and want.

Look at the Prius, what did they do to it, they made it larger and look even more like a normal car. Same things going to happen over at Honda, they are planning a Prelude based hybrid.

I am not knocking the other EV's, heck I think the Rav4 was the best step ever to get the public on board, but it's gone now, cuz Darell bought them all…

In any case I think there is more to this then just the technology. I prefer "stealth". I like the fact that most people don't know I have a high mileage car, I just drive and smile.

Darell

Flashaholic
Whew! This is fun again! Tyler and I agree on something important and relevant, everybody is playing nice, and we all want the same thing. Group hug!

[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
Seriously I do think that is part of the case. I don't think the Prius or Civic hybrids are taking off just because of the hybrid part, well they are, but it is because they look and have the room that people are accustomed to and want.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, yeah. I still say that reason hybrids are taking off is because they are advertised, and they available to buy from every dealer. The Rav4 looks just like every other gas Rav on the road. But if you only build 400 of them, and only sell them through 25 dealers in the country, and provide effectively no advertising - it is gonna be rough to build up enthusiasm!

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 more suggestions for practical energy saving:

Replace an old shower head with a modern one. The new ones typically limit flow to 2.5 or 3.0 gallons per minute vs. about 5+ on the older ones. And the quality of the spray is not lacking at all any more. This will save a lot of water and the energy to heat it. The change is inexpensive and easy.

Also, along the same lines as "super-insulation," don't forget to put some weather stripping on your windows and caulk any gaps in your walls. The typical 10-year-old house has enough little gaps and leaks in these areas that if you added them all together they would be equal in area to leaving one window wide-open all the time.

Thanks for the other great suggestions everyone.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I can't claim to be a environmentalist my self simply because I have a jet ski and a quad, I need my toys to be happy. I try to make up where I can. I use fully synthetic oil in both toys, the quad has been converted to all HID lighting. Less power consumption=better use of fuel not to mention the massive amount of light it makes.
I use a motion controlled porch light so it's only on when needed. CF lighting around my lair and only use 2 normal bulbs for a warmer color when needed. My workbench has a 175 watt metal halide for when more light is needed.
I am working on a DC system for my home as well. I have solar power and a battery bank for backup power and for some lighting. The panels only generate about 120 watts so it's use fullness has it's limits.
One change I belive could make a difference is the amount of power wasted on outdoor advertising. why light a outdoor sign with 4 400 watt metal halide lights when the dang store is not open at that time? Lots of commercial business waste lots of power on outdoor lighting as well, they could most likely eliminate half of the paking lot lights and still have it safe or at lest shut the lights off when the place is not open.

As for bulb sized CF lights I don't know if thats readily possible unless you use an HID lamp. My 175 metal halide is about the same size as a normal light bulb. If the smaller HID lamps where cheaper I would imagine a 35 watt car hid could.
Anyway thats my thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif