GUN CONTROL

Tombeis

Enlightened
Whither Gun Control?

Sunday, May 23, 2004
By John R. Lott, Jr.
What is happening to the gun control (search) movement?

This month, the Million Mom March (search) in Washington drew an anemic showing of only 2,000 people, while this year, all of the Democratic presidential candidates— however unenthusiastically— spoke of Americans' Second Amendment (search) right to own guns. These are just a few of the signs that the facts finally seem to be catching up to the movement. The future for the movement looks even worse.

See The Full Article Here

Edited for copyright compliance

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent article, so true. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JOshooter

Enlightened
I thought the whole article wasn't supposed to be posted...

Anyway, onto the real subject of the post, IMHO gun control laws are crap. They just give the advantage to the criminals.

maverick

Enlightened
I think gun control laws anywhere in the world only serve to take arms away from law abiding citizens. Gangsters, robbers and other criminals will ALWAYS have access to weapons. I mean seriously, do you think a crook is going to say "hmmm, guns are illegal now, so I guess I better not use one in my next hold-up...." Gun laws may reduce gun related accidents by reducing the amount of weapons, but you'd have to have your head stuck up your *** to think they will reduce the crime rate.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
what JOshooter said ^

Also what Playboy Joe said - Gun Control is learning how to use the gun itself.

The 'ugly' looks of the TEC-9, AR-15, AK-47 and similar guns reflect this package of features designed to kill people efficiently." ~ John R. Lott, Jr.

In reference to the AR-15, this is the civilian M-16. Designed to kill people efficiently only in the hands of an efficient "killer." I doubt some average dude will pick up an AR-15 and start picking off people at 300-500 yards.

An AK-47 was used not too long ago in NYC's Manhattan's China Town. I think it was around 47 rounds shot and one injury possibly one death (article details eludes me.)

Gun control laws keep guns out of law abiding citizens hands and puts them into criminals. Seriously, as said above, a criminal will get a gun if he/she wants to.

When I turned 25, first thing to do the following day after, get my concealed carry permit.

Mednanu

Enlightened
CCW permit, in NEW YORK !!???!?? Either their carry laws have changed or you've got some serious connections in order to pull that one off. Lucky dog if you do ! :)

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody aware of a good database for crime/gun stats? It would be interesting to know how many crimes were thwarted by armed defendants. I wonder how many folks are usually armed and how many LEOs there are in the USA. Which group has more accidental shootings?

Seems that most accidental shootings are done by idiots, at home, mishandling a gun.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NRA publishes many accounts of successful citizen self defense cases in every issue of it's publication American Rifleman in a section titled "Armed Citizen". They may also feature this through their website but I'm not sure.

I think also the CDC may keep records of firearms crime statistics (I think they were cited in the Jon Stossel piece debunking gun control as one of the top ten media perpetuated "myths") but again I'm not positive.

The Law Enforcement Alliance of America has been compiling stories regarding armed citizens assisting or coming to the aid law enforcement officers whether or not shots were fired and also compiling stories of how the "Assault Weapons Ban" has hurt the law enforcement industry in an effort to present a case for A) A federal "Right to Carry Law" and B) to help insure a sunset on the AWB. If you know of any documentable stories of such you can submit it through www.LEAA.org.

M

MeridianTactical

Hey, let's make guns legal and make murder a crime!

So now you can carry a gun, but you cant shoot someone with out a damn good reason...

Nah... it will never work... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I dont need statistics to prove to me that an armed citizen is better off. I know people who have killed an attacker with a gun instead of becoming another statistic themselves. One of these persons is a woman who had her front door kicked in by an armed man yelling that he was going to kill her among other things. She grabbed her own pistol and shot him dead as he was running at her. She was so scared that she shot him twice more as she leaped over his body on her way to the door. I would say that she is alive today because she could own a gun.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mednanu - Someway, somehow, I'll get the permit. If going through back channels, through cops, I'll even take it straight up with the commissioner or Mayor.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason, here is the link to a website on CCW info. In NYC sometimes you need to enlist the help of an expidition service to help obtain a permit, it is very expensive. When my wife and I first moved here I got cold called by a service offering to help me get CCW for around $250-$300 I didn't have the cash at the time, and that was around 8 years ago. I would hate to think what it might cost now, much less how much more difficult it is to become permitted after 9/11. I seriously doubt you could get a CCW now without the help or a good reason though.