Anyone ReceiveTheir NightCutter LED Light Yet?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
No big deal but I was just wondering if anyone received their NightCutter lights yet and what they thought? I saw Peter's thread and couldn't resist the price especially with the laser engraving and ordered one of the Commercial Series Sport NC003C lights. Neat looking little suckers and SMALL for a 2X123 light and the NC003C has SUPER LONG cell life. Pete said they're great little flooders.

steve_vance

Enlightened
Yes, I received one each of the following:
5-led 5P
5-led 5C
3-led 3C
3-led Chartlight

Overall, I'm amazed at the quality of construction, fit and finish. Way beyond any light I've come into contact with so far, even a little beyond Inova quality.

>>IMHO the star performer of the bunch is the 3C; it's amazingly bright for a 3-led, and the design is great: unlike most lights of this type, which have a rear-operated twistie switch (requiring two-hand operation or that you turn the light 180 degrees to operate the switch, then turn it again to point forward), this one has a front-operated twist switch: one-hand operation is quick and easy.

>>>the 5-led (whether the C or the P series) is very bright, I'd say 15-20% more visually than an Inova X5.

Both series feel better in the hand than most I've seen, this may be due in part to the quality of the knurling and the shape of the bodies.

On the whole, I'm delighted and would recommend these lights to anyone needing a well-made, reliable EDC led flashlight.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the report Steve. I'm glad you're stoked on the 3C as I thought it was the bargain of the bunch especially with it's super long runtime and decent brightness. I too especially liked what I saw when I noticed it had the front twisty and it's a natural for a small light. If the quality surpasses Inova, that's really saying something. Hope they send the others out soon!

sigp6

Newly Enlightened
I've got the 5C. Nice, bright, little light - I like it a lot and recommend it. I may pick up a 5P as well.

I agree with Steve regarding the switch located in the front - much easier to use one-handed.

The only negative I can think of is the finish. It is not the most durable, mine is a bit scratched up from carrying it in my pocket with change, keys, etc. This doesn't bother me at all as the light works as advertised and is very well constructed.

Nice job NightCutter!

Tom

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I received my 5C last week. Nice little light, good build and looks to be durable. Not all that bright though, maybe I get a dim one but my Inova XT is substantially brighter than the 5C.

When I first tried it, it was very dim, perhaps only 30% as bright as my XT. I checked the batteries and found that both were below 2.4 volts. With a new pair installed it came up to about 75-80% of my XT.

It's a fair bit short of what I need for an EDC. I wish it had a Luxeon and about the same brightness as my LSH or BB500 while still keeping the same small package.

Al

bald1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
my Inova XT is substantially brighter than the 5C.

[/ QUOTE ]

Al, that seems consistent with the specs they've published about their torches. And with the number of Inovas I already have, why only the chart red LED model tweaked my interest. I've thusfar resisted however, but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif who knows /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

--Bob

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to read this as I'm putting together an order with them now. Their runtime/power/form factor/interchangeability formula is what is finally pushing me into buying a light(s) that runs on CR123 cells.

When I emailed them with questions I got back very comprehensive answers, in short order. One of my pet peeves is when companies only answer one of the three questions in your email -- and then do a poor job on that one.

If anyone else was wondering:

The wavelength of the LEDs in the RED head is 626nm.
The wavelength of the LEDs in the GREEN heads is 525nm.

It sounds as though the RED head will also appear on the accessory page in about 3 weeks.

EDIT: Typo

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gene said:
I saw Peter's thread and couldn't resist........

[/ QUOTE ]Where can I find the thread?

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Glad to hear the positive comments. I'm really liking mine and find I keep going back to either the 3c or 5c Sport light every day. They're not the brightest lights I have nor do they have the most durable anodizing (but it's plenty acceptable for a light in this price range) and there's no clicky type switch but there's still something about the form factor that is very nice. I can't wait to see a luxeon version!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I finally received my NC003C today and I was very pleased when I took it out of the box. Very nice form factor and small for a 2X123. It's just plain neat looking! The laser engraving is very nice also. BUT! Now that I've had a chance to mess with it tonight, (I live very rural and it gets DARK here!), I'm disappointed in how blue the beam is. It's not the ugly purple/blue of say an older stock KL1 but it's definitely blue. I think I may have just received a defective head. I sure like the light otherwise. The beam is a really nice flood.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
My NightCutters came in today. I ordered:

NC003C Sport Light
NC003CC Chart Light
ACC-3CG Light head, 3 LED, green beam
ACC-5CG Light head, 5 LED, green beam
O-ring kit
CR123A 10 pack

I'm very impressed. I always pull the lube out, clean the threads and re-lube new lights and these slicked up really nicely. Very smooth switching.

The lights look great. Better than the pictures. Fit and finish is supurb. My first impression is that this appears to be a mature design. I think that it's a whole lot of light for the money. I'm thrilled.

I love the head with 5 Green LEDs. Very bright, suprisingly good throw. I have a Trek 2 which also has 525nm leds and I find it handy. The 5 Green head will probably stay on this one. Once I cobble together a pouch I'll start carrying it that way.

My only possible complaint is a small one. I don't like tiny lanyard holes. I don't know why they are so fashionable these days but in my more adventurous days those too-small lanyard holes would automatically disqualify a great many lights that I would find useful otherwise.

Sure would like to see some plots to 50% brightness.

7:]
(Ronald Reagan Smiley)