Help Me Choose Job By Tuesday

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about the misposting, I could have sworn that I was in the Cafe when posting.

I must be too close to the situation to see clearly and am unsure what to do.

I've been offered a job lasting nine months, through a temp agency, for only $9/hour. It's an hour drive each way, no benefits, and at 36cents/mile the commute is quite a hit. So I'd be "working" at least 50 hours while being paid for 40, The upside is that the job is in my field of electro-mechanical tech, good working conditions and possibility of permament hire.

The other job will last about five months but would employ, both, my son and I at $10/hour each. He's living at home with us and has no job and needs $$ to finish his GED. This is a dirty job removing lead based paint and repainting houses. It's only a 15 minute commute and the two hours/day for the other job will be a drag.

Take the grunt job and keep looking for something closer in my field? Take the higher tech job and hope it lasts and advancement comes later? I have to decide by tomorrow as both jobs were offered this AM. No job for months and now two in the same day. I will, greatly, appreciate any help - I'm in a serious quandry and hope you might see things more clearly.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Jayflash, I would go with option 1. "Removing lead-based paint" doesn't sound too healthy for you or your son.

maverick

Enlightened
Jayflash, I'd also vote for option 1. Unless you want to change fields anyway, then it is much better to stay in your own field of work. Because since you are qualified for it, you have a much better chance of advancing when opportunity presents itself. How big your paycheck is depends on a large extent on how experienced you are. Best to build up your experience now working a slightly lower paid job so that you get a chance to earn the big bucks later!

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally, I would recommend the job in your field--especially if it is something you love. However you need to look at the down sides:

1. If this is a 1 hour commute on the freeway, this is going to cost you something like $43/day (are they paying you the $0.36/mile or are you paying it?). That is probably over 1/2 your take-home pay. Is it worth it? Does the wear and tear on your car actually end up risking more?

2. If the job becomes permanent (is there such a job now?)--are you going to move? Is the place you would move to easier to find a job in your field? Are the work time/hours flexible (can you work 4x 10 hour days and save a commute day?). Can your family move with you and can you find a place to live in that works for you and your family?

3. It appears that the second job may be a "two-for" based on your description??? You and your son, or no deal? Will your son help with (family) expenses?

4. Does either job offer other benefits (like health and unemployment insurance). You need to weigh the risks yourself.

Without knowing your situation, it is very difficult to say--but job two, with your son, is probably the more cost effective (and good training for your son on the realities of getting a good education and work experience).

If job two is done with proper protection and training, the risks should be low.

And lastly, remember that nobody is a slave to a job. If you take #2, and get a better offer later--give your two weeks notice and move on--I used to tell my employees (at a very bit corporation) that the accountants decide who works and who doesn't by looking at Excel spread sheets--not by how hard or loyal a worker they may be.

Good Luck!
-Bill

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input jlh & maverick. I've been doing the electro-mech-tech thing for many years and know I'd like the job. The fly in the ointment is that it's 1/2 the income for the family but it may last twice as long. I'm leaning toward the nicer job even with the longer commute and my son will have to fend for himself.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
BB, I just read your reply, thank you. The tech job has very excellent working conditions and jobs in my field are scarce in my area. The paint removal job would be hell - I tried it out. My wrists and hands are wearing out (I'm 51) and I don't know if they'd hold up to eight hours of grinding. BUT, the lousy job would help my son and the family for a shorter time.

I don't care to move so I can only hope for permanent hire at the going rate of $15 -$20/hour.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jayflash,

I understand about getting old--I am 48. Physical health may have to be the determining factor...

Regarding the commuting--I am a big believer in parents being at home as much as possible--but that commute sounds like an expensive killer. In San Jose, when jobs were hot and housing expensive, there were folks that set up a small trailer (or camper shell) in the back lot for sleeping and used the company showers. Saving 4 round trips gives you and extra $170/week (after taxes). Might be worthwhile to consider--especially in the winter (if driving is difficult in your area).

It sounds like there is no good solution here. But keeping the family together is very important.

My prayers and best wishes for you and your family.

-Bill

kenny

Newly Enlightened
advice is free, so I can be responsible for triple damages. Take the $10/hr job -- with your boy now employed, charge him $50 a week to live at the house -- GED -- he didn't take advantage of the opportunity you gave him the first time through -- nevertheless he should keep plugging and contributing to the household. The time you save by not commuting you can be looking for an even better paying job in the field of your choice. Also, consider some continuing education at a local Jr. college to increase your skill-set. Likely, if your boy is doing a good job, they won't fire him when you find a better job.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not a joke - I've just been offered a third job. This one is only 20 minutes away at a large, growing, machine shop. I'd start as a CNC operator with the hope to get into maintenance. The job would be booooring and 12 hour shifts, and is 2nd shift with weekends. But the pay is better and the job has benefits.

This latest offering knocks the lead paint job out of the running. So now it's between a job I'd enjoy or one that, for now, pays more. If the electro-mech-tech job didn't have such great working conditions it would be an easier decision. I've a hunch that I could go further at that job too - but what can we really know?

If only I knew which job might last longer. I've been laid off so many times I don't know what to think anymore.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Job 1.

When you are searching for a permenant position many companies will be very flexible on interview times. "What are you doing now?" is best answered by you are on a contract assignment than you are doing something way out of your trade. If they give you an evening interview you can go straight there instead of having to go get cleaned up. Since you are on contract, if you get a second interview that looks promising simply take off early.

If that hour commute is mostly highway miles it can be used for organizing thoughts about your plan of action.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Jayflash, quite a day you are having, feast or famine, huh?

I didn't like the lead based paint thing anyways, so I'm happier it's out. But the choice is a little harder now. I'm for the job in your field, because you never know who you might meet, or what related opportunity may come up, so it could be a stepping stone to a better thing.

But a big factor in my consideration would be the benefits of the second job. Benefits cost a lot of money, if there's some health or disability involved, and not having it could cost you big along the way. Also, the commute is so much better, you could have some family time or personal time, too.

Talking about making contacts in the first job, you might make good ones at the machine shop in job no.2, and hopefully, more local contacts, too. So, unless you think job no.1 has more chance of furthering your career, my uninformed opinion is no.2.

Like BB already said, you can take a job, but it's a free country, if you don't like it, or a better opportunity comes along, it's your right to give some reasonable notice and do what's best for you and your family.

good luck!
daloosh

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just read your last post. Is the CNC job permenant or temp? Good luck either way. And don't let that 51 stuff bother you. Most men make the majority of their income between age 50 and 65.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Jayflash, Im sure you are an upstanding kind of guy and please dont be offended by this, but why is the electro-mechanical tech job having trouble finding someone to fill the position? They are using a temp agency...is the company that big or growing that fast that they cannot staff this position, or, does the company or the position suck and nobody wants to work there. They cant find anybody closer than an hour away? IMHO pass on this one. Take the CNC job.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlphaTea, you made an interesting point. The long commute job, with lower pay, is in a larger metro area so I suspect they are cutting costs with their temporary hires.

The CNC/maintenance possibility is local where we have staggeringly high unemployment. So I'm hoping I was chosen because they really do anticipate needing a technician soon, as was hinted at during my interview.

I appreciate all the advice everybody took the time to help me with. I'm still undecided and will be most thankful for more insight on this difficult decision. Even my friends and family are having a hard time trying to help - so, thanks again.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me being an optimistic feller I'd submit that companies will do contracts to check out potential employees with decreased risk. Hopefully this one is doing that very thing. However, AlphaTea brings up an important point. The contract writer should know the answer. This would a high priority question.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jayflash, that most recent offer doing CNC, 20 minute commute, with benefits sounds very promising. Good way to get training and experience on CNC and you can market that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Arrgghhh, scraping paint and leaded paint at that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

The electrical related job, after withholding and gasoline expense, that $72.00 a day (8 x $9.00) is gonna be down around $50.00 or less a day. Plus your workday will seem more like 10 hours instead of 8. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

I hope you get the CNC job. Best wishes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

Topper

Flashaholic*
CNC sounds best so far give it a few more minutes in case you are offered Bank president somwhere.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't know anything about your field. The first job, an hour away, sounds iffy.

Scraping Lead paint? Yuck!

CNC Operator... around here there are lots of oilfield and other types of machine shops. Most are climate controlled. IF I could do it, I probably would. Benefits is just icing on the cake. And if you can fix that stuff? You should be as good as gold!

Brock

Flashaholic
I personally would go with the job in your field and keep looking. That way, as was noted, when you're looking you can say you're working in the same field, but looking for something better and/or closer to home. As a person who hires people it helps a LOT if they are currently doing what I am hiring for. It lets me know they can do that job and know full well what they will be doing. Even if they have done the same work in the past but aren't currently working in the field I often wonder why that is. Not that it is always a bad thing, just somehow seems more logical.

Good Luck either way...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
tell us more about the machine shop job. i'd be interested in knowing the pay if you didn't mind, as i just started working as a cnc operator 2 weeks ago.

the work is easy (but sometimes physically tiring), and some of it's boring, but aside from the 10hour days, i rather enjoy it.