?-Those with 1.5v power source luxeon lights......

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
For example- the micro illuminator(aaa powered luxeon light)

what are these luxeons being driven at? specifically the micro illuminator since i have one and i can use it for reference as i have just ordered one of the TNC AA luxeon keychain lights that will be driven at 200 ma. im hoping it will be brighter than the micro illuminator.

man i sure wish the TNC light could use lithiums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Moat

Enlightened
Micro Illuminator is driven @ about 160ma, as far as I recall. Your TNC "should" be brighter (@ 200ma), all else being equal.

Couldn't you use (1.7v) lithium AA's in the TNC for a bit more "oomph"??

marcspar

Enlightened
Chris at TNC specifically said no to lithiums. I am not sure why...

Marc

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its using ARCmania's microconverter, then the maximum input it can handle is 1.5 volts. Any more would likely blow something on the board.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
If its using ARCmania's microconverter, then the maximum input it can handle is 1.5 volts. Any more would likely blow something on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, my analysis of the circuit shows that it should be able to operate up to 3.3V. Beyond that, it simply shuts down w/o damage. That 3.3V is nominal. It could be as low as 2.4V with worst case tolerance on component values. Chief Wiggum has been using them in 2Xalkaline lights w/o problem. Here is a link to some test data for this board:Arcmania board data

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Doug, nice catch.
I must have missed your post completely. I do remember asking if these boards would take a Lithium AA without getting a firm answer.

So...either TnC is using different electronics, or he is not aware of the upper limit for the MJ microconvertor.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using Arcmania's converter. He mentioned to me not to use Lithium Batts. He says the converter will probably fry with lithiums. I can not warranty these lights since everyone wants to try to push them to the limit. If you want to try to put a lithim in it, it's up to you.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Thanks for the information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I'll be using lithium batteries and if I fry it I'll let you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
Hoghead,

Please let us all know...so that we can all take our lithiums out when you fry it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My micro illumiator draws 385 ma
from it's aaa cell. ( not the newest battery )
As measured with a tektronix tx3 multimeter
factory calibrated 3 months ago.

so will a lithium aaa cell fry it ?
is the micro iluminator regulated ?

Mark D.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:

so will a lithium aaa cell fry it ?
is the micro iluminator regulated ?

Mark D.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are asking about the not yet released Eveready Lithium AAA cell, it should be fine and will be more efficient than using an alkaline cell.
Regulated? See my test data for Iout vs Vin:
Arcmania board test data
My comments are based upon the assumption that the Arcmania board design remains the same as the one I tested. It is possible that the design has been changed since TNC is suggesting output currents on the order of 200mA from a single 1.5V cell. The board that I tested doesn't provide anywhere near this much output at single cell voltages.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps there was a miscommunication and Arcmania meant that you can't use TWO Lithiums (3.6v total) with it.

Mark