Cleaning reflectors

balrog

Enlightened
The Pelican Reflectors (as used in the McLux PR heads), the gaglight reflectors, and presumably most reflectors scratch very easily. Cleaning with a cotton bud (err, Q-tip?) is definitely not an option. Is there a way to clean fingerprints off a reflector without scratching it?

Kabible

Enlightened
The PMR I got from Otokoyama came with some well written instructions. In them, Paul suggested spraying strong "Simple Green" onto the reflector after blowing any dust off with air. Then after letting the "SG" sit on the surface for a little while, just rinse it off with distilled water and let the reflector air dry. I'm going on memory here because the instruction sheet is at work.
I can edit this later after re-reading the Info.

Brian

Tino

Newly Enlightened
I always clean scratch sensitive stuff with a soft cloth and believe it or not....car wax. I choose mothers pure caranuba was. Dont choose any wax that says it can 'clean' or polish fine scratches though. If you're trying to get rid of fine scratches, you're better off using something else. I end up using mothers 'pre wax cleaner'. The key is to use a really soft terry cloth.

Its always worked out well for me and the benefit is that the thin layer of wax seems to make it more resistant to fingerprints and dust.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a can of compressed air now, after ruining my stock Mag reflector with even the softest cloth (yes even softer than terry, microfiber towels from Korea, not China) I stay away with direct contact.

balrog- I am going from memroy too and I think that is correct for the msot part. When i got my PMR the instructions said not to touch a towel to the reflector (I could be wrong, the tube is at home.)

Tino - car wax? Gosh I should try this with one of my junk reflectors.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ammonia-containing cleaners (such as most window cleaners) will take the shine right off the reflector. I found this out the hard way a few years ago. A purely detergent-based cleaner should be okay, though.

Reno

Enlightened
Rats!! I used ammonia to clean my PR-T reflector when I first got it!! I haven't seen any difference in the surface of the reflector itself, but do you think I've lost some throw because of it?

balrog

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips guys. I've never heard of Simple Green, but according to their website they do sell it in Australia. Just gotta track some of it down.

Has anyone tried gentle sloshing of the reflector in warm water with dishwashing detergent?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Reno said:
Rats!! I used ammonia to clean my PR-T reflector when I first got it!! I haven't seen any difference in the surface of the reflector itself, but do you think I've lost some throw because of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't see any difference, then I wouldn't worry too much. Once I tried cleaning a Minimag reflector by soaking it in a jewelry cleaner that contained ammonia. When I removed it after a half hour or so, all of the silvery coating was gone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Ammonia is known to form complexes with certain metal ions, and it can greatly increase the solubility of metals in a solution if other conditions are favorable. There may be other conditions necessary for destroying the reflective surface other than just the presence of ammonia (e.g. oxidizers or strong electrolytes), but I wouldn't take the chance.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
my ultrasonic cleaner (full of water and dishwashing liquid) works well for small reflectors (anything under about 30mm) 5 mins in the cleaner then a quick rinse with distilled water and a drying with compressed air.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best priced and easiest?

Clean hot water, well mixed with dishwashing soap, let sit for a while, swish multiple times, blow dry with clean,compressed air from a can. Works great for me!!

Bill