Arc LS with reflector mod?

Turt

Enlightened
I really love my Arc LSHP. I think I'd love it even more if it used a nice reflector instead of the optics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Has this mod been done? And if so, is there anyone out there that does it now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

cosco

Newly Enlightened
I have modded my ARC LSL. It now uses McFlood reflector from the The Sandwich Shoppe. I am happy with that. It fits because it has the same main dimensions as the optics originaly used. Unfortunately I cann not post any pics because I do not have the light with me right now.

The mod is easy. Just disassemble the light and replace the optics.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Turt said:
hmmm... any modders that I can send my light to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Turt- I hope to be doing it soon. Just waiting on some reflectors to arrive. I think these new IMS reflectors are going to really breathe some new life into the Arc LS series. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
LitFuse,
That sounds great. I have an LSH-P that may require your services. How about the LSHF-P? Would it be worth putting a reflector in it or just leaving it alone? I really like the beam of my LSHF-P. One more question. If we replace the optics with reflectors will it affect the warranty from Arc?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
LifeNRA - Not sure about the reflector vs. Fraen, I actually haven't even done an Arc with one of these reflectors yet. I really prefer reflectors in general though- good throw with plenty of useable spill light. I'm sure the reflector is superior to the NX-05. The Fraen is a little more specialized ( a "slab" of light as someone here recently remarked), I don't know that one is "better" than the other, it would depend on the application and your personal preference I guess.

I don't know about the warranty question, you'd have to ask Peter G. about that. I have a feeling that lots of people will be retrofitting their LSs with these reflectors though. I wouldn't be too suprised to see Peter offering direct from Arc with reflectors.

Peter

balrog

Enlightened
I actually cut down a M@g 2AA reflector and got it to fit into an Arc LS. It gives a beam pattern fairly similar to an NX-05 but without the square, and slightly more well defined hotspot. I like it better than a McFlood but that's because I prefer a tight hotspot for throw.

The beam does have artifacts in it. Perhaps this is due to changing the shape of the plastic reflector slightly with all the cutting and filing I did to it, despite doing this work with kid gloves. It's also due to the fact that it is a smooth reflector. I am looking forward to the new 17mm reflectors to be released by IMS that will replace the SO17XA. It might drop right into the Arc LS with little or no modification. I know that Chop has been doing quite a few mods putting the SO17XA into the SureFire KL1 head so he might be able to do the same with an Arc LS. However, popping in a reflector is a mod that I'm sure most modders could and would be willing to do.

Here's a few pics of what I call the "Unholy Hybrid" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

arc LS+mag2aareflector_1.jpg

arc LS+mag2aareflector_2.jpg

arc LS+mag2aareflector_3.jpg

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newest 17mm IMS reflectors have been confirmed (by Mr Bulk) as a "drop-in" replacement on the Arc LS, no modification is necessary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now, if only someone had some for sale... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Peter

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a very useful mod... any picture of a "stock" LS vs. a modded LS?

balrog, your "Unholy Hybrid" pictures aren't working for me, but I like the name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike