Can I open a US bank account?

maverick

Enlightened
Just want to know if there is anyway I can open a US bank account if I don't have a US address? Thanks.

gromit

Newly Enlightened
There are US banks with offices in HK. You should be able to open a account in the office there.
The US Govt and banks are looking into every large cash transfers and proof of funds will be needed. Most US banks are VERY suspicious of large cash transactions from smaller overseas banks. Just FYI...

maverick

Enlightened
I think there's a special form called a "W-8" or something which is used specifically for foreigners for that purpose.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer is yes, but you do have to have a US taxpayer ID or social security number. Current laws require that for anyone entering into any sort of financial transactions in the USA. Social Security does have procedures for issuing numbers to those who are not resident, and not permitted to work in the USA, the cards however have an Over print
'NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT'. You should probably contact the US consulate to see if there if there is a way to do it in Hong Kong. You may have to come to the USA. If you do, you just have to showup at a Social Security office with proof of ID. Because these numbers are required for any sort of financial transactions in the USA (and foreigner are allowed to borrow money, own stocks/bonds, have brokerage accounts and insurance policies, and these all need the tax payer information, there is no drama in obtaining one for tax purposes.

By contrast obtaining a TFN in Australia (equivalent to a US Social Security or Taxpayer ID) is extremely difficult for people without the right to work in Australia. So difficult that anyone who has a TFN is assumed to be able to work legally.

maverick

Enlightened
That should be no problem then. I go to the states once a month on average. I already have a trading account there, that wasn't much of a hassle to open.

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
polak187 said:
Don;t you need a tax id or social security number to open a bank account in the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer is no.

The long answer is, no, but you will need a W8. We open them every day. I've closed accounts that still have 111-11-1111 in the SSN field years after they're opened.

-F