Could've had a V8

Tombeis

Enlightened
Re: Could\'ve had a V8

I was loading a canoe at a boat ramp on Lake Erie when a proad boat owner was trying to pull a 24 foot boat in a trailer up the ramp with a VW Diesel. The clutch was burning with blue smoke everywhere. My son ran over and told him to stop and we would pull him up the ramp with our Blazer. We did, and I had a talk with his father who was the new owner of the boat and a policeman in the area.

I asked him whether or not had a larger vehicle that would be better suited to pulling a boat that size. His reply was Yes, but he and his son would have to learn how to tow with what they had. The other tow vehicle was an older Dodge minivan with a four cylinder engine!

I wished him good luck and wondered how long it would be before they both were pushed into an accident with that 24 Ft. boat behind an inadequate tow vehicle.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Excellent. Just because a car is peppy doesn't mean it will continue to be with a trailer on it!

14C

Enlightened

Sheesh....best laugh I've had in a month....now I got to feel bad for the poor SOB....but it was worth it.

MoonRise

Enlightened

And children, the lesson for today is ...

USe the PROPER tool for the job!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Poor SOB? No, idiot is more like it. And the folks with the 24 ft boat trying to tow it with a VW diesel? Idiots as well. And the cop -let- them continue???

If you want to do something stupid, that's fine by me. But if your stupidity puts someone else in danger, then you've crossed the line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

How would you have liked to have been one of those bicyclists pedaling up that hill, you come around the blind curve and all of a sudden there is a travel trailer rolling backwards down the hill, out of control, dragging the supposed tow vehicle along, just before it smashes into you?!?!?

Idiots. Sheesh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

What MoonRise said!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Mark2

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MoonRise said:
Poor SOB? No, idiot is more like it. And the folks with the 24 ft boat trying to tow it with a VW diesel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on the VW diesel. Their 5 liters V10 (as used in the Phaeton and Touareg) makes 310hp and 553 lbs-ft at 2000rpm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MoonRise

Enlightened

I pictured an older VW Rabbit or Golf Diesel trying to pull that 24 footer and struggling. Especially when their 'bigger' vehicle was a 4-cylinder minivan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Yeah, 500 ft-lbs of torque and 310 HP is a WHOLE 'nuther game ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Proper tool for the job.