Great Lawnmower

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way back in '96, 1996 that is, I needed a new, power, lawn mower to supplement the 1968, Scott's, reel type I still used. I still alternate between them depending upon how long I let the grass grow.

After at least 30 hours of use per year, original spark plug, it starts on the first pull every spring. I was fortunate that the expert at the old hardware store knew what he was talking about and selling. I was going to buy a highly ranked Yard Man but instead bought a Toro Recycler. This machine has a 4.5hp, two cycle LawnBoy engine and is very light weight. After trying regular LawnBoys, and a variety of other four cycle mowers, this one is, by far, the easiest to use. It mulches the grass so well that even long grass won't let a trail of clippings. If this one doesn't out last me I will definitely consider another, light, two cycle, mulching type mower.

Not bagging the grass and cutting at 2.5 - 3" has helped to transform the condition of my yard.

What do you like?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my fav lawnmower for sure is a 98 dollor walmart mower with a briggs n straton motoer . i hate self propelled

raggie33

*the raggedier*
honda over priced!!!! ive always used thease cheap mowers and they always do the jobi admit honda makes a fine mower but it aint worth 5 times my walmart mower

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you're probably right, but I do like the Honda. They make some good 4 stroke 2 cylinder whipper snippers too.

I do hear you on the overpriced though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Black&Decker cordless electric. It can mulch or bag, though I usually mulch with it. It's very nice, but it's not perfect. The batteries are a bit heavy and it isn't self propelled. The other bad thing is it sometimes runs out of power before I finish if the grass is really thick or wet (in these conditions it also leaves clumps when mulching). On the other hand, it's quiet enough that I can talk on the phone while mowing.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd consider an electric mulcher with sufficient power. I like the quiet and lack of fumes. I also prefer a non self propelled mower because they're easier to maneuver and I don't have steep hills.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Finally a lawn mower thread! I love it.

I used a Murray 13HP 30" rear engine rider for the past 8 years as well as a Yard Man push mower as a back-up. Both were cheap to buy and the Murray didn't break all that often. The Yard Man lasted 2 seasons then the motor froze.

Last Friday I got a Gravely ZT1740 Zero Turn mower. I've wanted a ZTR for a few years but couldn't justify it, still can't but I broke down and bought it anyway. Here's the reality of cutting my yard. Push mower 2.5 hours. My Murray Rider, 1 hour. My new Gravely, 30 minutes. I have another big bonus with this new mower in that my son can sit on the front deck while I drive it. I don't cut with him on it, I just cruise the neighborhood. Riding is his greatest pleasure. He's mentally handicapped so if he likes something you do it often.

The 1740 has great headlights but I need some Red LED's for the back end to make it safer at night cruising the streets. Any suggestions? It's a 12v system and I have room to mount a toggle switch. I checked out some 10-40 LED taillights on line today but you guys always know the best way to go. I also contemplated going with an amber strobe with a magnet base.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel, it sounds like your new ZTR was a good investment in many ways. You have more free time, your son gets quality fun time with Dad, fuel consumption is reduced, less stress on your back and hearing, mowing is more fun and you helped to stimulate the economy. That's a win, win, win, win, situation.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
I'd consider an electric mulcher with sufficient power. I like the quiet and lack of fumes. I also prefer a non self propelled mower because they're easier to maneuver and I don't have steep hills.

[/ QUOTE ]Jay -

Look no further than B&D CMM-1000
0002887201210_500X500.jpg

Initially expensive, but no more maintenance, no more storing gas or changing oil. I'm not sure which model that Tyler has (B&D has made many, and this is the top of the line) but this thing rocks. No clumps, perfect mulching, more battery capacity than you'd need to mow 1/2 acre.

Here's my personal cordless yardware:

mower_ev.jpg

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we moved out of the city and back into the country a few years ago, I've had to mow lawn again. Our property has 3/4 of an acre of lawn to mow, and I have been making do with a Sears Craftsman self propelled 21" mower for the past three years. It was good exercise, but it took 4 hours to mow the lawn once a week, and since I'm now working nights and watching our two young children during the day, I don't have as much time as I used to. My wife solved that problem though. For our 10th anniversary that we celebrated a few weeks ago, my wife bought me a new John Deere riding mower. Now I can mow the whole lawn in about 1.5 hours, around a third of the time it used to take me. I love this thing! It even has a cupholder.

-Keith

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell, that's the one I have, though the one in the first picture has slightly different badging on top than mine.

I mow about 3/4 acre just fine on a charge, unless it's really wet. In the summer it's very common to have pop-up showers in the afternoon, so occasionally we will have wet grass every day for a whole week, so it can't always be avoided.

The B&D grasshog edger is great as well. MUCH lighter than any gas-powered edger I've used and it has plenty of power. I edge a LOT and I've never run the battery all the way out.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My buddy got a big ZTR mower for his a bit over 4 acre property. He can mow it in around an hour. Takes longer to trim of course!

My generic Big Wheel 20 inch can do my yard in about 30 minutes. A bit longer or shorter depending on the "power pack" (ME!).

Eric_M

Enlightened
Toro Super Recycler 6.5hp Personal Pace model.

I love it. Nice quiet powerful engine. Excellent mulcher. I keep my grass at 3" and it looks great. It's a very big transformation from when we moved it last summer.

Can't go wrong with Toro.

Eric