PR bulbs. How bright??

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I know bright is hard to quantify, so how about in a Mag Light 2 or 3 cell.
Professional Series III from Ledcorp is it 3 times brighter than their standard PR replacement?
How about Tech Associates? Sino Union?

For the multiple cell options which is best to use? I assume 3 cells for single standard LED. What about the Pro series III, I understand it uses a Luxeon Star so how many cells for the best performance.
I know more batteries will last longer, but electricaly (electronicaly?) what is most efficient? I'm thinking about picking up a couple Mag-Lights while they are cheap
rolleyes.gif
for Christmas. As always thanks for the info.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
witsend. I have Mag's(3D, couple of 2AA's, Solitare's) that I bought in the early 80's. I still use them sometimes, like an old pair of shoes that won't give out. With the advances that have been made in flaslights at this time, I would not buy any Mag's today. Mag may come out with a new line but don't hold your breath. Rather than buying something that is already outdated and than upgrading it, buy a good light up front. It's kinda like buying a 486 computer and then changing it to a pentium IV. All you wind up with is the old case. Shop for bargains prices on the web or Ebay for quality brands like small Surefire's or Streamlight's and the list goes on. Read up on threads here at CPF and our great reviewers sites to get a feel for what's best for you and your uses. Best of all,

have a good time doing it
grin.gif
wink.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Professional series III, Has anyone tried it? The ad said 300% brighter, but brighter that WHAT? A Traditional Maglite 3d or a regular LED PR lamp replacement?

I wrote them, and have not heard back yet, but wouldn't the 2 bulb PR replacement put out more light?

I saw on another site that there was a 3 bulb PR replacement lamp.

I would like to know what kind of beam these lights give at 100 feet? 200 feet? I know that at far distances, the traditional halogen bulb works better, but my needs are for 200 feet, maybe up to 300 feet (I walk my dog every night in a dark elementery school playground/playfield.)

quote:
I know bright is hard to quantify, so how about in a Mag Light 2 or 3 cell.
Professional Series III from Ledcorp is it 3 times brighter than their standard PR replacement?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, what are the web site of these places:

quote:

Tesla

Enlightened
I don't think an LED-type bulb is going to get it if you're talking about visibility a football field away--go with a bright incandescent for that. The Brinkmann LX light is a good one for that if you can afford six bucks or so an hour for the batteries. I tried the "standard" LEDCorp PR bulb in a 4AA Tekna dive light & it was really WEAK compared to a Krypton incandescent bulb. If the lithium 123 batteries for the tactical style lights put you off, go with a Princeton Tec Surge.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if REALLY bright is what you need, you might just want to get an incandescent for now. I don't think LEDs have caught up just yet.

Use your LED when you need long life from your batteries, then, when you DO need that REALLY BRIGHT light, use the incandescent.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I have the 4-cell version of the Ledcorp Pro-Series 3. It uses a Luxeon star LED, which is over 7 times brighter than a Nichia whitee (for now). They are saying it is 300% brighter than the standard LED PR replacement I think (the one with a nichia). From what I've seen, I'd have to say that the Pro series 3 would totally blow away the pr base bulbs from Sino Union or Tech Associates, since they only use is a single nichia LED. (It also blows away a hole in your wallet, but it sure is nice.)

L.E.D.

Enlightened
OR, you could also use the LED bulb when you don't want a beam color that's ugly yellow, and an ugly beam shape as well (these traits are from incandescents)

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I know it isn't as bright but can you give a ballpark of the PR III to the incan. I need a bright light but don't want to go back to battery eaters. and the 1million cp rechargeable are too bright and awkward.
My apologies for saying too bright here
grin.gif
And glad to see some action on this topic thanks.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
the Pro Series 3 probably Isn't even a 3rd as bright as the normal krypton bulb on the mag light. The light is of course much whiter from the LED though. When focused, the beam spot isn't as large as an incan either.

beemerphile

Newly Enlightened
I bought the LEDCorp PR single LED bulb ($12.95) and found it totally useless. It gives you Arc AAA power in the form factor of a 3D MagLight. I am sure the Pro Series 3 is much better, but the JM45-3PR is a waste of a good mailing envelope. - Lee

Rebus

Enlightened
I have a couple of 3 cell 3 led Nichia bulbs.
They put out a good amount of light.
At least as much as a PT Attitude
but the close mounting in the
PR base seems to cause a cloverleaf
pattern in the beam. The beam is
much narrower in a Mag or fixed
focus light than it is the Attitude also.

I bought them for the superlong runtime
that you get with a 3D and 3 leds. The
rough beam won't matter in a survival
situation anyway.

I also have a 2 led PR and it puts out
nearly as much light as the 3led but
with a smooth wider beam.

-Rebus

Wylie

Enlightened
The different pr based lamps had me confused there for a second. I would really like to know how bright the Everled is going to be and how many models they are going to have to offer in the first year.
I have had people asking me questions I cannot answer yet.
icon3.gif

Wylie

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Wylie:
The different pr based lamps had me confused there for a second. I would really like to know how bright the Everled is going to be and how many models they are going to have to offer in the first year.
I have had people asking me questions I cannot answer yet.
icon3.gif

Wylie
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You did see this link didn't you? : www.leddynamics.com/EverLED/?

(evidently the one model of "bulb" is intended to be driven by 1 through 6 cells).
icon3.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
New 3 cell Epieon is about as bright as 2 cell Mag Num Star Xenon (both on fresh alkalines)

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks vcal,
I have seen that post and it is what started the questions coming my direction. I opened my mouth about them to some friends. I have tried to contact Everled and will probably not hear from them until Monday I would guess if at all they must be busy. I think they are going to be a pretty hot item myself.

Wylie