Mac owners-Help!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a G3 Beige desktop.
The CD won't open. keep hitting the button on front and it gurgles and burps like it wants to open but doesn't. The tray moves a fraction of an inch but does not eject beyond that.

First things first, you're gonna have to speak in layman's terms as I am completely unfamiliar with Macs.

I click on the toolbar (?) and on the CD icon, then the Apple CD player in the pop up menu, and get a message stating
"...cannot open because application Apple CD Audio Player cannot be found. Could not find a translation extension with apprpriate translator."

What does it mean, what do I do, is there any hope!?!?!
Am extremely frustrated right now.
At first I thought it was the CR Rom unit. Had pried the door open and looked inside and noted that there is a piece that pops up thru the hole of the CD that wasn't moving. So I replaced the CD Rom [luckily only $15 from an online supplier]. But after installing the new one am getting same message and disfunction.

Finally I do not have a modem in the G3 so I cannot go online to get appropriate software, updates, whatever.
Am about to use the Berretta and make a permanent fix. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif Right now I'm regretting having bought it and doubt I could resell and get my money back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

tech

Newly Enlightened
I seem to recall that the beige G3's have "paper-clip" hole on the CD that should force an eject. However, you need to take the face plate off, or open the case to get past that face plate.
Like I said, as I recall...been a while...

TK

Saaby

Flashaholic
Uhhh...Vintage Mac guys?

Is there an eject button in the Apple CD PLayer--I think there is. Might try that. I know iTunes lets you eject CD. Usually when the drive goes out and right back in on me it's because I got impatient and hit the button twice too fast.

Try Special->Eject CD
Try booting the system with mouse button held down.

Those are mostly speculation, I have nil experience in any Mac stuff pre iMac

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you say that the tray moves a little bit but won't open all the way you've got a jammed drawer and not a software problem. hitting all the different eject buttons all over the place inside the computer won't help.

Since you've already replaced the CD drive that rules out a jammed disk or a broken gear or something like that. The fact that the tray tries to open rules out a problem with the OS.

It's most likely the bezel or surround not put back on properly. Can you open the thing up a little bit and run it without all the front plastics on? I'll bet it's just catching on the plastics or not seated straight or something like that.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is absolutely nothing binding the drawer. Removed top cover, even popped the Rom out of its slot.

The paper clip deal is not woring either. When inserting there is no give or movement, but hit the eject button, drawer opens ever so slightly, and whatever is offering resistance inside the clip hole moves back allowing a good length of the clip to go into the unit. Upon hitting bottom there is no reaction and drawer still doesn't open.

Like said, was happening same thing to previous unit. Guess I'm either gonna have to look for a local repair service or just sell the damn thing as this is starting to turn ito more trouble than its worth for the use I intended, and that option is starting to look better and better each day.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif