Best 1AA LS light? anything like the orig Arc LS?

r2

Enlightened
I was recently looking around at 1AA sized lights, and not too impressed with what I saw. Many of you will recall the original Arc LS, which came with a 1AA battery pack that gave something like 4-5 hours of light. It was dimmer than the 2AA pack but still pretty bright and with a great battery life.

The main problem was that it was a bit big and clunky for a 1AA light (compared to, say the Infinity Ultra or the Arc AA) though it blew them away in light output. I keep hoping that someone will make a light the size of the Infinity/Arc AA but with an LS and the output of the old Arc LS with 1AA pack.

Is there anything like this that I've missed?

- Russ

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you might be a bit late for the first run, but TnC is about to make a batch of AA Luxeon lights. Right now, this is the only AA Lux light that im aware of outside of modified stuff.

Web site

CPF thread

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vary similar to what you are asking about is the Xnova AA, although it has five 5mm LEDS instead of a Luxeon, but in terms of output, runtime and form factor, I think this is very competitive with what you are asking about. It is also inexpensive. It looks like a small Inova X5 and is about the size of an Infinity.

But note that there are 2 almost identical lights that have been discussed here recently with very different runtime graphs.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very useful post - listing the known Luxeon lights:
2004 - Year of the Luxeon!

there is the TerraLUX MiniMax-1AA (about 2/3 down the page). But in this cpf discussion (last post) - TerraLUX MiniMax-1AA?
QUOTE:
Output is less than stellar, but for low level navigational purposes, it'll do for my midnight visits to the loo. My Dorcy 2AA 4 led model easily outshines this one
UNQUOTE

Perhaps a single AA just isn't enough for a Luxeon without some radical circuit (read - expensive - even then the runtime may be very short) a single CR123A Lithium may be better suited for the current Luxeons IMHO....

The Xnova AA refered to above was a group buy for cpf by haveblue from China - see:

SOLD! XNOVA AA, 1AAA (BAAA) still available

and it is substantially/noticably brighter than single AA or AAA lights - like the Ultra-G, ArcAAA, Dorcy 1AAA.

Xnova AA vs Ultra-G, ArcAAA, Dorcy 1AAA

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm expecting another batch of Xnova AA...tomorrow (I hope). I specifically told my China Connection (brother in law) to get the light from the same manufacturer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif