SF L4 owner please help ...

stockae92

Enlightened
i just got a SF L4 and the beam color is more yellowish-green than white.

i have beam pic but don't know how to post them

the color is more like the Arc LSH in the following pic when i compare is to my Inova X0 (which got white beam like the L4 below)

l43way.jpg

photo borrowed from Sean's Flashlight Site

did i lost the draw on the bin? will it break in? what can i do about it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

but compare to my MM+ Q3 on 2AA mini mag and inova X0, it still have so much more light everywhere

14C

Enlightened
stokae92 I have two...one from TheLEDlight a few months ago.

Neither is yellow or greenish with a caveat.

Someone HERE (on CPF) never own more than one LED light...you will never be satisfied..the corollary is a man with two watches is never sure what time it is.

That said, you can send it back to SureFire but I can not say what success you will have.

Does the color look green when it is used alone?

Also compare it to an incandescent light.

My two L4s are not used together but when I do fire them up I find one is "better" than the other for tint but they seem the same for light output and throw.

chumley

Enlightened
I just recieved an Innova XO, and it has a bluish white beam. So my L4 and Arc LSH-P both look slightly green in comparison, but they are both closer to white than the XO is.

There have been reports of greenish L4's, so you could have gotten a bad one. All white leds seem to have a colored tint when they are compared to each other. Try to get used to the L4 for a bit, then see if your XO looks very blue.

14C

Enlightened
Chumley...very good advice.

Comparing LED lights at this early time in the game is probelmatic. There may be a time when there is an industry standard but it is not here yet.

I have a few KL1s and they are all different.

Having said that, I also agree with the fact that there are some "bum" units out there.

I am not sure what the policy is on returns for "off color" SureFires is but I suspect that they are not enthusiastic about it.

I am concerned because I think stockae92 bought the light based on my recommendation of a vendor who had good prices..who BTW I had dealt with before with good results.

taylor

Newly Enlightened
I have two L4, one is slightly yellow. The other is white. I think the industry standard for the colour temperature of LED do not exist at this moment. Therefore, even for the same model, the LED beam color will be different (i.e different colour temperature). When you buy a LED flashlight, it is better to compare with the others. I usually put a white paper over the light beam. You can easily distinct their difference in colour.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
14C:

I received my L4 from theLedLight yesterday and am very pleased indeed. Thanks again for alerting us to the sale. Mine has the very slight faint donut beam if you look at it closely. My light has a nice white LED, and even though I'm a throw freak, I really like the way the extra beamwidth on my L4 lights up a larger area around me all at once. I tried my E2E next to it, and I had to constantly shift the beam of that one around to see the same things that I could when I held the L4 in one spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Aten_Imago

Banned
Look here..that might help > http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/FLR_BS_2.htm
I'm finishing up the reviews of the ARC 4+R2 & SF L4 now so you will not see those reviews themselves till COB today or tomorrow- but at least the beamshots are done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif . The L4 beam on the light that we happened to get is actually ever so slightly cyan, with a tiny, tiny bit of Yellow/ Green near the hotspot. Looking at the color charts helps with comparison a little. You likely got a poorer bin color in your's- can you return it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

stockae92

Enlightened
mine does looks yellow-ish even when fires alone to a white wall inside the house.

and my X0 is pure white (i don't think i notice much blue in it)

outside the house, the yellow-ish tint of the L4 is less obvous, but its there. it still so bright compare to my X0 and MM+ Q3, but my G2Z out-hotspot the L4

i am wondering, will a yellow-tint L4 let me see as much detail as a pure white L4? and the tint won't change with use time?

anybody dealt with SF customer service about warranty before? what do i need to do?

i don't know if i want to go through all that. i might just sell it for its worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

stockae92

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
I am concerned because I think stockae92 bought the light based on my recommendation of a vendor who had good prices..who BTW I had dealt with before with good results.

[/ QUOTE ]

14C, i don't think my yellow-ish tint L4 is anybody's fault except for surefure's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif i still give you a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif for passing along a good deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stockae92

Enlightened
wow
that's a good price
and also local to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif