Really Cheap LED/Incan Headlight

mekki

Newly Enlightened
Don't recall this one ever being mentioned, so:

I just picked up a Coghlan's LED/Incandescent headlight for about $28 Canadian w/tax ($18 US). It has 3 white LEDs and a "3V, .2A" incandescent bulb. There's a rubberized push button on the top that offers 3 modes: 1 LED, all 3 LEDS, or the incan. The incan. is focucable, but has a really ugly and skewed beam (though it does the job of providing a bright spot).

For the price I didn't expect much, but this thing is pretty bright and fairly good quality! My only complaint is the racheting adjustment mechanism's fairly weak action; a little shaking makes it move around.

A neat headlight at a great price! If anyone cares, I could post a couple of snapshots.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
a reasonably priced LED headlamp sounds good. Where is it available? The switch between 1 and 3 LEDs sounds even better
grin.gif
!Thanks for any info.

mekki

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been able to find it online yet (the store I bought it from doesn't have a website).

Do you guys have Coghlan's stuff in the US? It is ubiquitous here in Canada (they make all the little camping supplies you find in Walmart and such).

I'll keep hunting around, and if I can't find one online at a reasonable price, I can always buy one to send to you.

I also forgot to mention that it uses 3 AAA batteries.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this light sometime ago and I replaced the incandescent bulb with another LED. I originally planned to use those modified LED from LEDCorp but w/o PR base. I guess it would be great as the headlamp is focusable. However, LED Corp didn't respond.

Alan

Gandalf

Enlightened
I believe this is the same light module that is used in some standard hand flashlights which were for sale on eBay a few months ago. The 3 LED's are mounted inside the reflector for the incandescent lamp. Does that sound right?

I bought one of these, and I was dissapointed in it because it uses 3AAA cells, and the incandescent light is quite yellow, with relatively poor focus, as described. Despite being made in China, workmanship was excellent; with an aluminum body, and a soft, ridged rubber/plastic grip around the middle. The choice of 1 LED, 3 LED's, or incandescent is a great idea, but the 3AAA batteries were underpowered for the xenon lamp. It would run down 3AAA's pretty quickly

If the headlight used 3 AA batteries, it would be a big improvement over the hand flashlight's 3AAA cells.

But beside all of that, at the price quoted, it's quite reasonable for an LED headlight, with the options mentioned. Carry an extra set of batteries, and you're set with a decent LED headlight as a very reasonable price.
rolleyes.gif