Mosquito Repellant

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a mosquito spray that doesn't smell like a chemical spill but still works. I've always used deep woods off but I tire of the aroma. My friends house is next to a creek and we get eat up everytime we're outside.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
try a lighter grade bug repellant that has a less concentration of DEET , try deep woods off "skintastic" line.
I personaly would staty away from brands that do not use DEET as they don't work as well for me. If you can't tolerate any DEET avon skin-so-soft would be a alternative but in my experance it fails to work well.
I have also seen stuff that has citrolella as a rub on/spay on repellant but thats toxic to some people from what I understand.
You could also go to a outdoor/sporting goods store and shop around and read the back lable for a list of whats in it.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Draco_Americanus said:...I have also seen stuff that has citrolella as a rub on/spay on repellant but thats toxic to some people from what I understand...

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate on that? I've been using this stuff called "Uncle Carl's bug away" that uses citronella oil and tea tree oil. It works pretty well. Is something supposed to happen to me if I keep using it? Or are some people just allergic to it?

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Avon SkinSoSoft actually works. Just don't stop off at any biker bars on the way home.

lightbox

Newly Enlightened
This stuff is good when you're in malaria territory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
REI Jungle Juice 100
95% DEET for $3.50

I don't recall it having any smell. The container tends to leak though and it's pretty nasty when it does (it eats through some plastics)

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i read a consumer reports article a couple of years ago.

i was unhappy to read that nothing but deet worked. the higher the concentration the better.

i hate the smell too.

Bob

unclearty

Enlightened
I just read an article in a magazine to make your own repellant. Supposed to work BETTER than DEET. 3 to 4 cups of freash grown catnip..crush leaves with a rolling pin...add to a jar containg a few cups of rice venegar and let sit for a week..strain and put into a spray bottle. Can be safely applied to skin or simply spray around your seating area. The author swears it works better than any commercial product. I have catnip growing wild behind my house. Going to try making some this weekend. Author says you can keep this in your fridge.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
As a surveyor I have tried them all. To be honest I do not think anything but deet works. Of course after you sweat for a little while its just like you never put anything one to begin with. I dont even bother with anything anymore. I was once in a place where the misquito's were so bad that I started bringing cigars everyday so that the smoke would keep them off of my face. And I dont smoke. I hate mosquito's and those darn ticks too.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i saw a thing at biglots it was some kinda electronic repleller was very small and portable is say it was like 3/4inch by 3 inches.i belive it was made by sunbeam

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
raggie33,
I have seen the ones like you are talking about but for the home. They emit a high pitched noise that is supposed to drive out all the bugs and mice from your home. I have heard though the animals get used to the noise and will come back.

Empath

Flashaholic
The ones for mosquitos, or is it mosquitoes? Where's Dan Quayle when you need him? Anyway, the mosquito repeller works differently than the ultrasonic pest repellers. The mosquito repeller usually comes in two forms. One that mimics the sound of a male mosquito, and one that mimics the sound of a dragon fly. The claim is that the female mosquito will try to avoid the male, and that the mosquito will try to avoid their natural enemy, the dragonfly.

How effective it is, I couldn't say. From what I've heard, opinions are split.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Empath,
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I have not seen the ones raggie is talking about. Maybe I need to find them and see if they work.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thanks raggie. There is a Big Lots in town. I will have to see if they have them.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Treating your clothing with permethrin works well. You spray your outer garments and let them dry overnight. The treatment should last at least two weeks or about two maybe three washings. The deet cremes don't seem to have the smell of the sprays. The lower concentration sprays seem to have the worst smell to me. The little pump bottles of 95% deet don't smell too bad, but that's a lot of deet to be putting on your skin.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
they say some people atract mosquitos a lot more then others mainly it has to do with there diet.they seldem bother me