Too dumb for Arc4........whaaaaaaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouncer212

Newly Enlightened
To Whom it May Concern:
This post has to do with the lack of intelligence on my part regarding technical issues that are easy for everyone else. I in NO WAY wish to cast any judgement on what is quite clearly a sophisticated piece of fine engineering; Arc4 flashlights
I knew this was going to happen- got my Arc4 yesterday, watched the videos
(over and over), read the faq's repeatedly. I don't know if I ever even Got to the brighness menu or not, but now it's dim in primary and pretty bright in secondary, so I guess I'll live. One thing- it'd be cool if there was a "click chart"- 57 clicks to make it brightest, 55 clicks not quite as bright, 119b clicks for primary, 59 clicks secondary?
I am no techgeek- just wanted a cool light- guess I got one.
I have a mac iboook but only use it for the net and email- programs are complicated!
Just some words by a beffuddled older guy.
thanks,
ethan
PS- one other thing- why doesn't it come with the brightest setting as secondary?(For all I know, it does!) Makes sense to me- why save light if you could be using it?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I feel for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif I too had trouble remembering what button sequence did what....so I sold it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

flashboy

Newly Enlightened
Just sit back and relax with your Arc4. I have had one since January and I still cant remember the sequence of all the options. But you can print out the instructions and just practice with it, You don't need to get into the options menu that often once you have it set up to your liking. Practice is the key with this light.
Once you get the hang of all that clicking it will be like 2nd nature to ya.

Bouncer212

Newly Enlightened
Roy- what did you replace it with?
flashboy- I am not trying to remember anything- I am just trying to change the brightness.
Thanks for your replies!
ethan

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know the Arc4+ is so troublesome. Now I am having 2nd thoughts buying one...

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite mottos: IIWDFWI*.

*If It Works, Don't F___** With It.

**Fool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Take the battery out, let it reset, then leave it alone. Personally, I find the less I f___ with mine, the more I like it.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Bouncer.....I have a Fire~Fly (carry in pants pocket), CMC 123 (LUX III)(carry on belt) and a VIP on order.

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
Pull the battery and let it sit for 2 minutes. It will reset to factory default. Then don't worry about the slick features until you can't stand it anymore. That's what I did anyway...

Bouncer212

Newly Enlightened
PJandyHo>
I did not mean to infer the Arc4 is "troublesome"- it is clearly a fine instrument. This post is about my own personal dumbass self.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bouncer, I told you so:)

My motto has been and remains, :KISS:

The Arc is an awesome light, but for those of us who use them as tools as well as for fun, they seem too complicated. I went for one of Mr. Bulks VIP's, 3 settings, easily seen and felt with the knob.

Arcs really are great lights, but when you want simple and easy, they are not! A technogeeks ultimate light, though!!

In your job, I would think simple and easy is what you always want!! No waiting, thinking, just light, right now.

No kicks on the M3, its a great light, just a lot more money than a 2C mag with 3 123's. The M3 is a whole lot cooler looking, too!

Good luck with the Arc4, once you get it straightened out, everybody seems to like them.

Bill

DaveT

Enlightened
Bouncer, I feel your pain. When I first got mine, I was having trouble with it, too.
Good advice from the other folks here - reset it to factory levels, get comfortable with the clicking speed/touch. Download the PDF that has the Arc4 Pocket Reference Basic Operation wallet-sized card and print it out...that helped me out a lot with recognizing where I was in the options menu.
Then ease your way into changing the settings the way you want it. I played around with semi-tactical and slightly tweaking the brightness level...then eventually settled back into the factory settings.
Don't worry, it does get easier - and I don't think you'll ever need to remember anything more than getting the "feel" of the 10+ clicks with or without button hold to get either of the menus, and where you left the pocket cheat sheet.
Cheers
Dave

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
Here's all you need to know:
<ul type="square">[*]Push and hold - Light comes on, let go, light goes off. Or...
[*]Click once, light goes on. Click again, light goes off.
[/list]
That's it. May it provide light in all the dark places you must go.

What's that? You want it to do some of the cool stuff you've read about? Well, now, that's different. Like anything else, if you want to use the advanced features you have some reading (and some practice!) ahead of you.

The Arc4 can be as simple or as complicated as you'd like. The great thing is, if you choose not to use the advanced features, they don't get in your way.

simbad

Enlightened
I have one from few days ago, I am still trying with the levels, a good idea is printing the Pocket Instructions Sheet, very usefull to remind you the basic features.I think with a bit of practice the 4+ is easy to use, three levels for an every day pocket-carry light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

georget98

Enlightened
Reset doesn't change the programmed brightness levels. It comes programmed with the primary brightness at level 1, brightest, and the secondary is somewhere around 5 (or is it 7).

Play with the simulators, they've helped a lot of people get the hang of it.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
Actually the light is extremely simple to operate. Click once turn on, click again turn off. The complexity is of your own making. You may find it hard to believe but Microsoft Windows is extremely complex if you really want it to be. Most people use about 1% or less of it's features. Just pretend you don't know about the other settings and your problem is solved. It probably takes way more mental power to make a post in this forum than to use the Arc4.

simbad

Enlightened
georget, your simulators are a usefull help for the begginers, I've tried different levels and I have the factory setting, level 1, level 7 and dimmest for nightime at home, and still going on...

Bouncer212

Newly Enlightened
Hey TwoGun>
I CAN get my light to shine- in two levels! (I am NOT braindead)
One click- dim light
One click then push and hold-bright light
All I am saying is it'd be nice to know if I am using the secondary setting at the brightest setting.
Or better yet, have the primary be brightest and secondary dim, but without having negotiate the tricky (to me) menu...
that is all
thanks

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
The ARC8+++++++++++++++S The "S" is for "Simplicity"
It will have a built-in 1300+ page photon manual.
To read you simply click 78 times. The ARC8+++++++++++++++S's
built in morse code translator will flash the instructions
at any rate from .00000000001 to 2,000,000 WPM.

PS: I thing I'm getting TCFS: Tunnel Clicky Flashy Syndrome

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pull the battery out and let it sit. Go read or watch tv or workout. Come back, put the battery in and try again. Read the instructions. Keep clicking, you'll get the hang of it sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.