Inova X1 opinions...?

capnal

Enlightened
Just ordered my new Inova X1 from BriteGuy, should be here right after the 3 day weekend. Anyway, in the mean time, I was looking for opinions on this item. I already own the X5T, with white LED's. I am very happy with the product, good construction, performance, etc.
Does the X1 really perform like a small "spot light" like the website illustrates? How does this light stack up against Arc AA? Is it small enough to carry in my pocket and forget about it?

Kram

Newly Enlightened
I'm one of the advocates of the X1 on this board.

A lot of folks don't like it because it is so intensely focused. It projects a clean spot for quite some distance, depending on the ambient light conditions. What people don't like is that there is essentially no sidespill, so in total darkness, the contrast between the illuminated area and the surroundings is extreme and there is no support of peripheral vision.

Having said that, I really like the quality construction and the projection of the light. It's a marvelous piece of engineering. It feels solid, works smoothly, and puts out a surprising amount of light for a 1AA light with a single non-luxeon LED.

I think it rides well in the pocket, but I suspect it is bigger and heavier than the Arc AA (I don't own one, so I can't do a side-by-side).

I like it and, depending on how you intend to use it, I suspect you will, as well. You may want to look at this thread.

Earlier X1 post

Mark

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
I have the X1 and love it. Yes, it really has the spot beam. It takes some getting used to, especially if you are trying to walk through a cluttered area that is really dark. You can adjust to it, but it still is not as easy as using something like the CMG Ultra or any number of other LED lights.

Compared to my CMG Ultra, the X1 is the same size around, but its OAL is probably 1/2" (maybe a tad more) greater. Still, wearing jeans make the X1 easy to carry every day.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm also an advocate of the X1. But, I don't actually use mine that often. Its beam does make it a bit of a curiousity. Build quality, though, is first rate. I consider it a worthy member of my collection.

MI_Packer

Newly Enlightened
I have carried mine since the day it arrived. It's in my back pocket next to my wallet. I have given several as gifts and they always have wow factor. I use lithium cells without a problem. My dog loves to chase the dot.

I have the X5T and X0 also - I like them all.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I could not reconcile the spot.

So mine was ghetto modded to have a plastic "Lense" replace the focus lense.

Now it's more like an ARC AAA or an Infinity Ultra in output. I sometimes carry it on weekends, as it looks kind of snazy....

bald1

Enlightened
I too like mine for close up work. As a result it doesn't get used as much as other lights. But again if you have a need for a tight spot for use say inside a component (e.g. computer, TV set), the X1's beam, nice run time, and inexpensive AA power make it a worthy choice.

As an aside I'm finding my "go to" lights are the Tigerlight for maximum throw, my G2/G2Zs for outside walk abouts, the X5Ts for navigating inside buildings or as emergency car carrys, and the Micra for my EDC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Bob

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can not say enough good things about the X1.

It is a light for very specific purposes and if you try to push it outside it's 'design envelope' you will be dissatisfied. On the other hand, if you need a tight spot with no spill, tiny form factor, good battery life, and good throw in a 1AA light under $20, you can't go wrong.

My wife has a wide list of specialties in technical theatre. I did too, for years. She wanted a new work light and we talked over her requirements. They were very much like mine were. In theatre I was always looking for less spill. The less, the better. It is very important to not disturb or distract people any more than you have to. I carried a series of mini-magzillas. If I were doing it now, an X1 could replace the MM for every task that I needed it for, without a doubt. YMMV. In my case, it would replace the MM and I would have a light with a smaller size, no spill and quite a bit cheaper to feed. I would slide a little clear vinyl tube over the tail-cap (just as I did with the MMs) so I could hold it in my teeth.

Comparing it to the fine ARC-AA is like apples and oranges. You'll see.

I got one for my wife and I thought it would be a win, win situation -- if she didn't like it, I'd get to keep it. Fat chance. She loves it. As previously mentioned, she reports that the WOW factor is pretty strong as far as the uninitiated are concerned.

It is a very specialized light and if you need what it's got you'll be very happy. If you want it to find your way down a bushy path to an outhouse at night without poking your eye out -- you'll be very disappointed.

Let us know what you think of it.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I really like the X1. top notch product. The only reason that you might not want one, is everyone else has said, the beam type, it is truely a spotlight, and has no side spill, but the "wow" factor does over come that in my option.

GoLightly

Newly Enlightened
Mine just arrived today. I like AA powered tools and this is another one. I a big fan of the ARC AA and the Infinity lights. On the X1, I like the function of the push button tailcap. The spotlight beam has already been well discussed.

DanM

Newly Enlightened
I really like my X1 because of the tight beam. I find the X1 and its big brother the XO very good daytime lights. Both lights place the beam right where its needed to light up dark corners, look under the car seat, etc during the day.

I find my ARC AAA and X5 are only useful when is really dark out.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've taken a shine( pardon the pun)to my new X0. It feels very solid in my hand and just can't say no to coated optics! It's not the spot of an X1 nor is broad beam of my E1E/KL1. It's all 1W in a nice pattern. But what's up with the rings outside the spot?

Anything with a chip in it!

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my X1 when working inside my machines (computers), I've later given it to one of my sisters as a keychain light. It was better than her AAA MiniMag.

What a timely thread. I just bought two X1's yesterday and I think they're great. Way better than the Arc AA, in my opinion. Much better light - focused and clear. More focused than the X5. I have a couple of those, too. These Inova lights are so cool from a body/weight standpoint. Really, no one beats them for outright cool design, even Surefire. And they're priced right, too. All in all, a great solid, well-built feel and overall great light.

mapet

Newly Enlightened
No other flashlight I have is so well done. Even Arc's battery contacts you have to clean frequently. In Inova case the contacts remain clean from the time I bough the light.

And the spot beam is great for specific use. No forest walking for sure. But when some ambient light is available there is no other 1AA torch suitable. I love the beam and use it when I do not want to show my position (I am using it not for military purposes but for camping jokes)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing wrong with the X1 is the brightness. If it were about twice as bright, so you could really see the beam (a la an LSH, or ARC4+, or Longbow Micra), it would be close to perfection for me (a tight beamaholic).

flashlite

Enlightened
I just received my X1 yesterday from BrightGuy and I really like it. I like the feel, design and how far the beam projects.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
It's very well made, excellent for those particular uses (in computer or other equipment), nice size (a tad large), convenient power requirements, fine switch.

However, given I don't want to carry a lot, I almost never opt for the X1 as EDC. The Arcs (AAA, LSH, 4+) are better general use lights, so the X1 gets occasional use, only at home. It also is not waterproof, only resistant, which is a minus (made mistake of washing it under running water).