Pop Ups????

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
All of a sudden, THIS session on the work 'puter. Pop Ups have become somewhat of a problem. At the top of my screen there was a Yahoo Pop Up blocker. I clicked get it. Better! I have still heard it block one or two, and one got through.

What the HECK happened all the sudden???

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get spybot search and destroy and then a firewall like zone alarm, that should take care of the spyware, and also ad the SPYAD registry to your windows internet explorer.

HTH
Alex

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It got worse!

I'm home here on an old W95 'puter that no one messes with anymore.

I got frozen out of CPF, and then a bit later had the window closed in a Yahoo game.

I doubt I can even DL anything on it tomorrow.

Anything at one of the big stores that will help?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously,

Go here and download Mozilla Firefox v0.8

It works fine, I like the tabbed browser windows (open a bunch on dialup and let them load while looking at other stuff).

Not a bad learning curve and seems to play with IE just fine (they leave each other pretty much alone).

I have had zero pop-up ads (actually pop-ups can be allowed by site and such).

Just for the heck of it, I played with current IE on XP with active-x turned off and all of the latest ad-aware, spybot search and destroy, spyware blaster, free version of zone alarm, google toolbar with pop-up blocker; and even after downloading new updates of these programs, I went to www.drudgereport.com and immediately got a pop-under ad.

The tools seemed to have stopped most IE pop-up/unders--but there is still a class that seem to sneak through more often now.

I changed to Firebird because it does not have support for active-x and other hooks for spyware programs. I also like the cookie control... I just leave cookies off, and when I find a site that needs cookies, I turn on the ask before using function and then only let the site cookie through--and block the ad cookies. Then turn the cookie master switch off (still allows pre-approved cookies through).

And it just ticks me off that Microsoft supports so many programming hooks and virtually no controls for all of this junk-ware. I am boycotting IE, except when needed, as it is just too risky to use when browsing the web. There is so much stuff out there that can trash your computer's software and leave you with little choice other than to reload your OS from scratch.

Who knows, maybe someday I will finally get a FreeBSD or Linux installation--but FireFox is working for me now and everything seems stable.

-Bill

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
popups,popunders/ popup blockers are the puter equivalent of radar/radar detectors and laser/ laser detectors in all probability the same people created both and are working both ends of the candle against each other.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Google Toolbar (with IE) to block popups, and I have been very satisfied with it. It blocks about 99% of popup ads without interfering with desired browser functions.

Another nice feature of this toolbar is that it updates itself automatically. A couple of weeks ago, an unusual number of popups started sneaking through. However, this has diminished recently, most likely due to improved versions of the toolbar.

By the way, I agree with the previous posters who said that you need to scan your computer for spyware. If you are receiving an unmanageable number of popups regardless of which web sites you visit, you could easily have malicious programs installed on your computer.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Very VERY strange...

Dad said he tried playing Yahoo Poker last night. Kept hearing "boing" "boing" (some of the sounds I heard yesterday.

One got throught that said something to the effect of click here to stop this.

He did and it took him to a register window that wanted $29.95 or some such.

Once he X'ed out of that, NO MORE POP UPS since....

The Yahoo toolbar pop up blocker is still active. But I'm on the 'puter right no with no ill effects visible.

?????????????????????????????????????

Negeltu

Enlightened

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
I second Negeltu on his list. (Although I still use AVG.)

More important, imho, is Firefox. Add the adblock and flashblock extensions and browsing will be MUCH faster than IE. No ads or annoying flash animations you don't want to see, but still the ones you do. (I still let the CPF sponser ads through, though.)

Negeltu

Enlightened
FireFox is definitely a good thing. I use it and the full Mozilla Suite. If you are dead set on using I.E. then turn off activex until you encounter a site where you require it's use and you know the site to be safe. I haven't come across one situation where I needed I.E. FireFox is now my default browser. I have Avast! set to scan my incoming email for infections and the junk mail filter in thunderbird and mozilla mail takes care of most of the garbage.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you lhivernant!

I took your advice and loaded the adblock and flashblock extensions. They work very well.

For those still new to FireFox--You click on Tools/Options/Extensions/Get_New_Extensions. You will see a whole list... Scroll down and you will find a item by item list with Adblock and Flashblock. Only takes a click to install.

Very nice.

-Bill

bryguy42

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
FireFox is definitely a good thing. I use it and the full Mozilla Suite. If you are dead set on using I.E. then turn off activex until you encounter a site where you require it's use and you know the site to be safe. I haven't come across one situation where I needed I.E. FireFox is now my default browser. I have Avast! set to scan my incoming email for infections and the junk mail filter in thunderbird and mozilla mail takes care of most of the garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is thunderbird???