Arc4+ humming

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmendoza

Enlightened
I was trying different light levels in my bathroom this evening and noticed my Arc4+ second was humming?!
On level 16 I can just barely hear it pressed against my ear, on level 10 I can hear it high pitched at about 8inches from my ear, on level 5 there is NO HUM, and on level 1 I can hear it lower pitched about a foot from my ear. All this is in a very quiet room.

I've had this light for about a week and have REALLY enjoyed it! As far as I know, it could have been humming all along. Does anyone else with an Arc4+ first or second notice a hum?

Just Curious,
Chris

P.S. I tried resetting the light by leaving the battery out for 6minutes but it didn't reset?

Noxiousbt

Newly Enlightened
Re: Arc4+ humminge

I think it's just inductive hum. The different amount of current passing through the inductor, for different light levels, causes the inductor to hum at a differrent fequency. I have slight high-pitched hum on both of my Arc4+Premiums on level 1,Rev1 and Rev2., both firsts. I don't pay much attention to it.(like putting it by my ear}, because as you all know, as long as it's a first, the warrenty is lifetime. That being said, I don't think you will ever have problems related to the humming. It is a pretty normal thing. Well, Hope this makes you feel better, or a least not alone.
Brandon

la_panza

Newly Enlightened
I was surpeised by the opposite, somehow, I intentionally went in search of any noise, humm or whistle but I could hear nothing.
In fact they should emit some noise, they have a built-in DC/DC converter as I read in the documentation, and where there is a DC/DC converter there is almost always some inductor and some alternate currents flowing thru this inductor.
The alternate magnetic field generate by the inductor often causes it to mechanically vibrate slitghly, with emission of weak sounds..
For some reason mine is totally silent anyway, or I am deaf :)

cmendoza

Enlightened
Sounds like the hum is to be expected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Chris

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO it should only hum when:
1. the frequency is low enough
2. any part can move mechanically.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tried listening to my Arc4+, and did not hear anything, even when the flashlight was put directly to my ear.

There is a little bit of RFI on the lower AM radio band, though you need to point the flashlight directly at the radio and place it against the radio in order to detect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.