BATTERY POWERED weed wackers...

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have one?
Are they overly heavy?
Do they have decent runtimes?
Do the batteries last more than two or three seasons?

TIA

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Black & Decker model. Not heavy at all. Nice to tote around the back yard just to hit a few areas and not worry about cords, engines or anything else.

Decent runtime? Haven't really had a chance to run the battery down--always keep it on the charging cradle so it's always fresh.

-Jason

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have one. It's made by american gardener. It can be purchased at Menard's for about eighty bucks. It's 24 volts and has great runtime, mine is a normal yard and I can trim it about 6 times without charging. It's not as powerful as a gas trimmer, but it's not bad. It is fairly heavy, about as much as a gas trimmer. But it doesn't have the power of a gas trimmer. It's certainly o.k. for a small yard though.

B00008BFSU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008BFSU/qid=1085727454/br=1-14/ref=br_lf_hi_14//103-9240088-6555049?v=glance&s=hi&n=3116291

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
They're good for small yards and short jobs. Better to buy a cheaper, more powerful 120 VAC unit with a long extension cord. The cord is a bit of a hassle, but the performance improvement is worth it.

Another way to put it: AC powered units are probably 2 or 3 times as fast. They're lighter, have more power, longer strings and don't cause environmental problems when the NiCad cells are discarded. Also, they don't gradually die out as the job progresses. I hate it when you only have 5 more minutes of work left, but the batteries aren't up to it.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Ryobi 18V battery powered weedwacker and hedge trimmer, and then I picked up a Ryobi sawzall (uses the same batteries) on ebay for $50 to tackle any bigger pruning jobs. I can usually trim around our buildings and property on our 3/4 acre lot, but it takes both batteries to do so, and it isn't the most powerful thing in the world. I've been using them for two years now, but I'll eventually get a gas-powered weedwacker I'm sure. For smaller jobs they are great though.

-Keith

d'mo

Enlightened
I have a 12VDC Toro, a little snot with a 7" cut. Works great! I'll never go back to the hassles of a gas trimmer again.