help please.....Uk eled ?

coachbigdog

Enlightened
My Dad needs a good light with decent throw for looking into dark corners during inspections of duct work.I was thinking of th UK eLED because he gets AA for free and doesn't want to deal with 123's and because of the long runtime.Does the Uk eled have decent throw?

Al

Enlightened
UK eLED's throw doesn't compare to the xenon lamp HOWEVER, for inspecting ductwork (interior inspection?) the eLED might be just fine. No glare, blue/white beam and relatively even illumination. Plus - regulated. Try it out, it's cheap enough.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
For a 1W light, the beam profile on the eLED is great for all-around work. The primary hotspot is almost pointlike, with a sloped dropoff into a corona that's perhaps half as bright.

The neat thing about the pointlike center of the hotspot is that it's still useful at decent range. You're not going to shine this light across big lakes, but it's useful up to ~50 yards in mostly-dark conditions.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should try one of dat2zip's sandwich modules for the AA Minimag.
Reasonably priced, easy to assemble and runs on AA batts. You can also swap out the supplied optics for a McFlood if close range illumination is needed.

Al

Enlightened
Just one more thot ... I purchased both the UK4 eLED and a replacement eLED module ... the separate replacement module is approx. 25% brighter.

While neither is as bright as, let's say, a KL1 - the impressive runtime under regulation seems exceptional.
Review

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
For a 1W light, the beam profile on the eLED is great for all-around work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not all that sure I'd call it a one Watt light. While it seems to draw close to that at six Volts, at five it's pulling 170 mA for only .85 Watts. Assuming reasonable efficiencies it's probably close to half a watt. That's how it's able to get those long run times after all.

Anyway, I fully agree it's a nifty light. I own two and recommend them.

Doug Owen