a fire-fly challenger?

paulr

Flashaholic
Cute little light but is thicker than a FF despite using a CR2 instead of a 123. Not really in the same league.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Well,I'm also considering cost vs. performance.Seeing as how you could almost buy THREE kc-1 flashlights for the cost of 1 fire fly,I think it's going to be an incredible deal.Don't get me wrong,I'will eventually get a F.F.,i'M JUST SAYING all THINGS considered,the kc1 is a sweet deal!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting find. If nothing else, for the price and size it would make pretty cool gifts. I may look into picking one up and seeing how it really does compare to the fire~fly.

MY

Enlightened
The light seems to be to be the size of an old ARC LS with 123 twisty. The firefly is a true small 123 light while the Vortec is a CR2 but sized like an 123 light. Since this is all about size, there is not comparison between the two.

Regards.

83Venture

Enlightened
A CR2 body for the fire~fly is coming, you will then be able to compare lights using the same battery.

Aten_Imago

Banned
Good points chaps! I'm in line for a Fire~Fly or two myself. They are in different classes of Key-chain flashlight really.
1) Fire~Fly is a small run Limited Edition VS KC-1 which is not a small run
2) Fire~Fly is custom quality engineered for optimal performance (as yet unverified) against cost/size/ weight VS KC-1 which compromises smallness, perhaps brightness and customization (exclusive parts) for a lower price point
3) Fire~Fly is reported to be Made in USA & Canada VS KC-1 which is made in ROC where labor costs 'different'.
4) Fire~Fly CR123 is narrower that the KC-1 which is wider, even though it uses a smaller battery
5) Fire~Fly is anodized with Type III HA VS KC-1 which has a less durable Type II anodizing on it
6) Fire~Fly CR123 may either be brighter for the same runtime as the KC-1 or it may be a similar brightness for a longer runtime (depending on your choice of sandwich) or..Fire~Fly may be brighter and have a longer run time as well- in the same form factor as the KC-1
7) Fire~Fly uses a copper or optional aluminum heatsink to draw away heat from the emitter module in a thermodynamically sophisticated way. The KC-1 simply uses the greater bulk of the body as a heatsink.
8) Fire~Fly seems to be targeting an exclusive elite flashlight buyer VS KC-1 which is probably targeting a larger mass market.
9) Fire~Fly is likely to appreciate in value VS KC-1- which may either appreciate little or not at all.
10) Fire~Fly is available with a variable resistor to extend battery life and/or control brightness VS The KC-1 only has full power as an option.
=================
* It's up to each customer to decide which light best suits thier requirements at any given moment-taking all factors into consideration. I would like to suggest that the KC-1 clearly pays homage to the Fire~Fly- rather than the other way around