Why is there not a true CR2 size light on market?

MY

Enlightened
I was wondering why there is not a true CR2 sized LS light on the market. While there is the Vortex light, even though it is a CR2, it is bigger than the firefly.

I think the objective is to build a bright, reasonable runtime, very small form factor, keychain sized light.

I believe that if someone took tvrodd's design (or similar) and ran with it, the resulting light would have even a greater appeal than the firefly. I think the CR2 form is the key to a small light. N, AAA, and button cells just do not have enough capacity to drive a LS to the level of a firefly or equivilent.

What do you think?

Regards

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
CR2 cells can be difficult or even impossible to find, unless you have a charge card (or a friend with one) and buy them from an internet store.
Difficult-to-find batteries might be one reason (and a BIG one) as to why there aren't many CR2 flashlights.

Just my 2¢ in the matter; individual results may vary.

kevindick

Newly Enlightened
Both of my local drugstores (Long's and Walgreen's) sell CR2s in their photo aisles. Expensive at $6 though.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'll check the three drug stores I have ready access to (Bartells, Right-Aid, and Wallgreens) when I get a free moment and see if they have CR2s.
Maybe late this afternoon, but more probably tomorrow afternoon.

(Edit)
I can check Bartells today, since I'll be going there anyway (sometime around 4:30pm PDT); but the other two stores will probably be checked tomorrow.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can think of 2 reasons why...

The CR2 cell has pretty poor capacity, roughly half of the CR123s.
Size probably also plays a part. With the size of light you are looking for, the flashlight body would not provide much in the way of thermal relief.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh. Guys?

I'm in Ohio. CR2's are everywhere: Drugstores, gas stations, etc... along with the 123's.. But the best place to find them: Walmart has them for $3.00 each..

Brian

Mattman

Enlightened
Re: Why is there not a true CR2 size light on mark

Well BMStrong, you know that Ohio is "The heart of it all" - that's why we've got CR2's out the ying yang. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think we don't see retail lights with CR2's because of all of the factors mentioned. Price, availability, capacity and heat sinking all have to be factors. For the flashaholic, I can't tell you why there aren't more available. I use my EDC light infrequently enough that I'd be OK with low capacity CR2's and I'd really like the extra punch and smaller size they'd provide. In that situation, price wouldn't matter as much since I wouldn't go through many batteries.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

My Bartells (the one in downtown Seattle on 3rd Ave. between Pike and Union) has CR2 cells, Energizer E2 brand, for $6.99 apiece. I checked today at approximately 4:15pm PDT.
I think they're about $13.00 apiece at Radio Shack - when they have them, that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Every grocery store in my area carries them, not that you'd want to feed a flashlight with them at up to $8 a pop! (My SF M6 would be abt $45 for 20 min at grocery store $7 123's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) Battery station (CPF supporter) has them for $1.25. I am continuing to persue the formfactor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Aten_Imago

Banned

Might as well chime in.
1) CR2's are, as some have noted, 1/2 the capacity and roughly 80% the weight of CR123's, making the CR123 the odds on fav for most likely to succeed in the general marketplace.
2) Mass consumers already have enough to deal with in the 'classic' battery options already out there- you know the likely suspects, AA, AAA, C, D etc. Adding one or even two more cell types creates all manner of difficulty for retailers- stock replenishment etc.
3) Let's face it- with high capacity rechargable AA's. AAA's and even 9V's becoming common & cheap- Is it environmentally supportable to add yet another disposable to our waste dumps?
4) Consumers are still reeling at how 'great' M@G lites look in comparison to thier old flashlights- the concept of 1W, 3W, 5W Luxeons is still very much a 'cult' thing.
5) The silver bullets will be ubiquitous rechargable single CR2's & 123's- then these lights will simply take off ...IMHO.

MY

Enlightened

I was referring to customs runs like the firefly rather than volume manufactured CR2 lights.

I don't think the lower capacity of a CR2 relative to an 123 is important. Most keychain lights are used intermittently so the continuous run time is not as important. The key is being able to drive a LS, albeit for shorter run times, at high levels which other small type of batteries cannot do well.

Most people who get these types of lights order their batteries so that per unit cost is low. I do feel for those who do not have access to low cost batteries.

tvodrd's CR2 light is truely a work of art but very practical. I would be gratefull tvodrd if you could/would sell me one of your CR2 creations.

Why hasn't the modding community stepped up to the plate and make this wonderful light?

Regards.

srue

Newly Enlightened

MY,
I am right there with you, buddy. I think tvodrd's CR2II is the perfect EDC. I really am amazed there isn't more support for it.

Have you guys seen the pic of the CR2II fitting INSIDE a FireFly? (6th post down) Now tell me that's not awesome.

This is an enthusiast's light. It has factors that will keep it from the mass market, but we are not part of that market. I for one am ready and willing to plunck down some cash for a tvodrd CR2II (hint, hint, tvodrd).

I hope the CR2 form factor is explored as an alternative to CR123, especially once converter efficiencies improve and heat becomes less of a factor.

MY

Enlightened

I think that my firefly is small but a CR2II fitting inside the firefly really illustrates the keychainable form factor.

Aten_Imago

Banned

Thanks tvodrd!
Your timing is gr8. We just ran out of lights to test for now-so that will be just fine-. As always- we'll give you the most objective evaluation. We'll even post a side-by-side picture with the Vortex TC-1 for CPF- Aten,/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:

They're at the anodizer now. If they/(or me for that matter) don't ruin them, One will be headed your way for an unbiased review. Interestingly, an 850mAH CR2 is still good for an hour+ of pretty bright output, and with the 2-stage switch, low beam can be set for days.

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]