Nightmare Ebay transaction

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been a while since I posted, been really busy with school. (Staying off CPF also saved me a lot of money!)

Recently I purchased a used flash system off ebay ($1,400), I normally wouldn't do it, but it was a great deal at the time ($2,500-$3,000) if purchased new. It has been a headache ever since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

The auction included a portable power pack, ring flash, and a few batteries. When I received the item I thought the batteries wouldn't hold a charge, but now after I purchased a brand new battery I am pretty certain it is the charger.
Well, to make a long story short, basically I didn't get what I paid for. The charger does not work and the replacement is $300.

So I contacted the seller, and he is stating I am trying to rip him off when I am only trying to get what I paid for. I will probably not get my money back just by asking. So, I am wondering what I should do? File a complaint with ebay + paypal? He lives about 20 miles from me, would it be worth while for me to take him to small claims court?

Finally, if all those things fail, I am wondering if I can just get a generic charger that provides 14.5V and 2.5A output?

Any comments or advice is appreciated. ( I could of purchased so many flashlights for that amount of money!)

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks, but comes with the territory on ebay. The only thing that would do you any good is if you bought the guarantee from paypal. Otherwise you're screwed.

Being 20 miles away and such an exspensive item you should have checked it out first. A seller lived near me and I asked if I could pick the item up. Never got a response, she was prompt with previous email. Big red flags.

You may get a judgement against her but you'll likely never collect. If they own a large parcel of land you can put a lien on it. Then if they sell it off you'll get your money.

I would go over there with the item and "insist" you get your money back. I'll leave the defenition of "insist" up to you. Tell him you're going to all his neighbors to tell them what a scammer he is, and do it!