Low Dome vs. High Dome in PR Heads

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi all.

In the pursuit of my quest for the ideal medium-flood light aside from the LuxV solution, Don built me a PR head with a LD LuxI in it. I'd like to share the results of this test.

The two candidates are
left: McLux-PR R2J LD LuxI DownBoy700
right: McLux-PR R2H HD LuxI DownBoy 700

LD_PR_front_end.jpg

Luxeon lottery aside, they should be perfectly comparable as the only independent variable is the LED dome.
The R2J LD is the older version with the phosphor-filled dome and not the newer EOS LDs.

Enough
blah.gif
, on with the beamshots ...

Corona Shot:
LD_PR_corona.jpg

(LD on the right)

Hotspot Shot:
LD_PR_hotspot.jpg

(LD on the right)

Indoor Shot HD:
LD_PR_roomHD.jpg

Indoor Shot LD:
LD_PR_roomLD.jpg

Outdoor Shot HD (target is a tree about 6m away shot from a 1st story window):
LD_PR_baumHD.jpg

Outdoor Shot LD:
LD_PR_baumLD.jpg

Please excuse my camera that is not capable of adequately capturing the coronas in the real-life pics, those are essentially hotspot and near-hotspot comparisons.

The results are what I wanted:
- the LD produces a much bigger and softer hotspot that gently fades inito the corona
- the color is on the yellow side and no way near the pure white of the HD, although that might change when EOS LDs in higher bins will be available
- throw of the LD is really not bad, think of the L4 with a few meters more reach
- beam quality up close is not as perfect as with the HD, but that does not matter in real life.

Overall .... very nice for people like me That means this combo should be interesting for about 0.1% of CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let's hope for the EOS LDs ...

bernhard

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great reveiw as usual!

maybe you should try some Pilas with the downboys.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aloha!

Brian

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Very, very nice. Great review and information. I never would of thought trying a LD in a PR head.

(I was very curious on what was to become of that R2J...)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for doing this, Bernhard. I find the comparison very interesting and your beamshots clearly illustrate the differences in the two emitter styles.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

Kiessling

Flashaholic
ahem ... on the wall-shots the LD is on the right (edited for clarification), just in case you shouldn't have noticed ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

P.S.: thanx guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernard, nicely done. I keep harping that real world shots always display more accurate comparisons vs wall beam shots. It's nice to be able to discern differences in these two lights.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice comparisons BK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I like the LD in these shots. They remind me of the LuxVs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif Good amount of spill to see around you and still has a little bit of throw.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Keith, I agree that real-life indoor and outdoor shots can tell a lot more than white-wall shots ... BUT ... they are more difficult to realize, at least with the equipment I have.
My digicam is nealry incapable of capturing the corona of those lights, it is almost all hotspot. In this case this is ok since the coronas are quite similar, but when you compare a PR to a Fraen LP ...
IMHO when doiong white-wall shots it is mandatory to have a corona and a hotspot shot if your camera cannot capture it in one pic. An overexposed hotspot says not much.

Howard, basically the beams of the LD and LuxV in a PR are similar in functionality while there are still differences:
- the LuxV puts out more light and eats batteries faster (hey, did ya know that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )
- the LuxV has a better ebam quality up close as well as a better color (compared to the classic LD)
But in the end, it is a similar concept of a medium-flood light ...
bernhard