SO17XA Reflector Dimensions?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks,

Well, the people at IMS aren't responding to my e-mails, so I'll pose the question to you all here in hopes one of you have a set of calipers.

How wide, and how tall are the IMS reflectors? I'm in the process of designing something and don't have one on me yet to check myself.

Any help is appreciated.

-EM

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have calipers, but using a ruler I get a hair over 17mm diameter, and 10.5mm tall. This is an older one without the tripod legs. I also trimmed the cylindrical base, and I'm assuming that it was once flush (of the same height) with the part that sits on the emitter.

There is also a data sheet that I've seen, but I don't have it anymore, and don't remember which thread I got it from. Maybe it was from their website.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info so far. I've seen the flyers, but they have no dimensions on them.

Thanks for the info.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
I measured 17.5mm diameter at the top, 17.7mm diameter at the base, inside diameter at base 15.7mm, overall height 13.7mm, emitter hole 5.6mm, overall depth of the reflector 10.7mm, wall thickness at top of reflector 1mm.

Measured with a digital caliber and rounded to the neareast 1/10 mm. Hope that helps.

This version:

3.jpg

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for those! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So, the older SO17XA reflectors fit entirely over the Luxeon Star?

The newer ones have fins that balance themselves on the star itself though, correct?

I'll have to see if I can get some of the newer versions. I'm building up prototype to for a production piece I'll be making in a few months, so I'd like to design everything for one part and have good uniformity with it.

Thanks for all your help guys.

sflate

Enlightened
Here you go:

17mm specs

20mm specs

27mm specs

Picture of all 3

The old 17mm's hole for the LED is slightly recessed from the bottom, meaning if you sat the refelctor on a flat surface over the LED, the LED would not protrude far enough. That's why most people cut part of the 'skirt' off.
The hole is the same size as the LED and fits over it easily.
The 20mm (Is this what people are calling the new 17mm style?) also has the hole the same size as the LED but it is slightly more snug in all of mine and once placed over the LED it pretty much stays there with no mounting (but I would mount it somehow anyways. The legs protrude slightly from the bottom, meaning, if you place the 20mm on a flat surface over the LED the legs sit nicely on the flat surface.
The 27mm is a bit different than the other 2. The hole is larger than the LED and fits over the entire LED's black plastic surrounding the lens. You have to be careful not to disturb the electrical connections with this one.
Hope that helps.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice specs - did you make them yourself, or did you have them saved from somewhere else?

Regardless, I very much appreciate them, they saved me a bit of work.

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-EM

bald1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The 20mm (Is this what people are calling the new 17mm style?)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the pre-production sample of the improved S017XA doesn't have a shroud like the old one you pictured. Instead it has three legs like the larger ones you've shown. There is another thread (something like "The last word on those danged new reflectors") which has some excellent close up pictures.

--Bob

dukeleto

Newly Enlightened
Hey Sflate,
would it be possible to post those pics of the reflectors again?
The link seems to be broken ...
Thanks,

Olivier

Latest posts