Infra Red Army Style

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,

If all goes well Im going to try and put some photos on the Yahoo thing. I got front row seats for what the Army called an IR Lume shot.

It's a big 120mm mortar that fires a 50lb projectile. Somehow that thing makes a lot of IR light for various NVG devices to spot.

On the link are some photos of the launch tube, and various people with the round. Including yours truly with the hat. The reason I look like crap is short on sleep, and long on twitchyness.

I have a short AVI taken that night as well. For the first 22 seconds it's black. Remember an IR shot in daylight would be kind of useless. Then a big flash as the round leaves the tube, then more black. If anybody could isolate just the flash frame, that would be a photo!

They (the Army) dudes tell me this unit went out to 5Km outside the base before impacting.

At launch it thumped the ground rather firmly.

This came 24 hours after we took three small mortar rounds. One wounding two troopers five tents from where I was sleeping.

So yes, Im a little more than ratteled. Lately each time I hear a door slam, or a flash in the night, I jump.

It's not all sweetness and light here in Iraq. Got no plans on leaving.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ka2zev

Try this link and see if it works.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow

Brock

Flashaholic
The link comes up to you pics, but I didn't see any avi? If you send me a copy I can post it on my site for a bit if Yahoo won't do avi's.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
B,
I looked up your address and made what seem to be corect changes.

Let's see if the AVI will make it to you. I diden't post it because it's nearly 3Meg.

Actually there are one or two frames worth the trouble, but I don't know enough to seperate out the frame in question.

Otherwise, what's new? Got Jimmey Buffet on the pirate radio station, and pokemon on AFN TV.

Been fixing a power supply for a lap top. Now I have to find a 'fast recovery' diode in Iraq, good luck.

Later dude
Jack Crow aka you know who.

Brock

Flashaholic
Got the AVI, yup it looks like just that one flash or launch. Here it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flash.jpg