What is the Arc4's c ircuit efficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
What is the Arc4\'s c ircuit efficiency?

Anyone know how efficient the Arc4 power circuit is at the different light levels? I vaguely recall these bits of info running through CPF:

-- Peter has mentioned 90% at a medium level (#8?) but no figures for other levels.
-- Someone calculated 9 lumens/watt at #1 - a shockingly low figure that is probably caused more by circuit inefficiency than emitter overdriving.
-- The Arc4 supposedly puts out twice the lux at 30 lumens than an LSHF-P at 24 lumens, but the Arc4 and LSHF-P have the same runtime when the Arc4 is putting out only 15 lumens. At those lux levels the LS is supposedly running at 80% efficiency and the Arc4 might be at only 50%, and this with the Arc4 having the reflector advantage.
-- Peter and Henry have recently made reference to their next generation of lights having more efficient circuits at higher output levels.
-- Yea, I've been playing with my Arc a fair amount, but my gut feeling is that it runs through batteries really quickly. 3 in the first month. I usually go 3 - 4 weeks per battery with the LS. No conclusions yet, but I'm trying to stay out of the menus and see how it does against my LSHF-P.

Maybe the Arc4 is best used at its lower output levels. If the levels higher than 5 or 6 are used often it might be best to go with the LS series instead. No lower output levels, but much more efficient. Anyone have better data?

Status
Not open for further replies.