OK - Luxeon alternative 1/3 of the price...

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
These have been around for a little while now. Not as bright and doesn't like overdrive as much as a luxeon but they're cheap.

Try doing a search (although the search feature doesn't work too great) on "UFO" and you will find some answers about them.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I can get real Luxeons for less - and they have better performance.

If "UFO's" retailed for half of what luxeons go for, there might be a bigger market, but when they're typically priced the same as Luxones and are about half as efficient, well, imagine why they're not so popular.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
I can get real Luxeons for less - and they have better performance.

If "UFO's" retailed for half of what luxeons go for, there might be a bigger market, but when they're typically priced the same as Luxones and are about half as efficient, well, imagine why they're not so popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get luxeons for less than $5!!!!????

Huh, wait, UFOs are half the price of luxeons. I'm confused?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

EDIT: Ok I see now. The link above Jaycar is selling them for about $10. Now I understand.

UFOs are normally priced at $5-$6, cheaper if bought in quantities of course.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The link posted:
[ QUOTE ]

STOCK-CODE: ZD0410 - New Product RRP: $10.95
Qty 1+ $10.95 Qty 10+ $9.75 Qty 25+ $7.50

[/ QUOTE ]
Every time (admittedly few) I've looked at UFO prices, they've been similar to the above.

You don't have to look all that hard to find 1W Luxeons for ~$10 each/

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Hey guys check this out quickar
I got a couple UFO's. they do make a lot of light. I haven't messed with them much, but the radiation pattern seem completely incompatible with Luxeon optics.
Fester

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
The link posted:
[ QUOTE ]

STOCK-CODE: ZD0410 - New Product RRP: $10.95
Qty 1+ $10.95 Qty 10+ $9.75 Qty 25+ $7.50

[/ QUOTE ]
Every time (admittedly few) I've looked at UFO prices, they've been similar to the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are overpriced. Look here. I never dealt with them though so I can't make a recommendation on them.

Happy lighting!

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I forgot to mention I bought a couple of Lux 3 stars and a couple UFO's from them. At the time they didn't yet have the website set up for online purchasing. I called (gasp) and gave them my info. They shipped the next day USPS priority mail.
Fes

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Yep, Quickar was the only guy on the block that was selling the ISP Led's a while ago.

A quick telephone call to them and they were shipped the next day, as UncleFester said. The LED's cost me $5 each.

JPT

Newly Enlightened
just to point out that JAYCAR in evil.mooo post
is in au$,, which would work out to be about us$6.
they are sold for even less here at other electronic stores (au$6). i have some but have not use them yet.

*Retired*
I'm confused. Anyone can order a Luxeon III from Future Electronics for 8.50ea at qty 1 volume. You buy more, prices drop alot. If you have been paying the online website price, shame on you, you need to call them. I think for an extra dollar, you can get whatever bin you request, if they are in stock. The price drops to under 5 dollars in small volumes, quickly.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk is cheap - bring them on then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I could very well be misinformed (wouldn't be the first time). I thought requesting a bin was a thing of the past. The Future page linked to the Lumileds site says to call for pricing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif On the order page, I didn't even see Lux 3 stars, only emitters (in white). I'll certainly look into this next time I need a Lux.
Thanks for the tip
Fes