Diamond 3 watt Mag drop in VS custom 3 watt/hotlip

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just about to order a Hotlips and 3 watt Luxeon to put in a 3D mag I'm making for a friend. Then I found the Diamond 3 watt drop in. Obviously much cheaper and easier to do. How would that compare to a hotlips mod? I was thinking of running the hotlips/LS at about 1000ma, but the LED Museum says that the Diamond runs at 750-something ma. How much of a difference in light are we talking here?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the runtime of the Diamond LED Museum did it seems like a 3-Watt Lux in a simple, pretty can. Not regulated. It was too good to be true.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Diamond 3 watt Mag drop in VS custom 3 watt/ho

Looks like it is a lightly resistored unit (to prevent the LS from dying when someone puts in 3 x NiMh). Where does the heat go? Cooking the emitter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif A LuxIII DD mod will be much brighter.

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened

I've done several TWOL 3 watt Luxeon mods to 3D mags and they all run 5-6 watts output in DD. Usually around 3.9v at 1300-1600ma with fresh Alk batteries. The Hotlips are a great setup. I'm getting 2,600,000-3,000,000mcd. A TWOL hotlips with it's awesome heat sinking will give you close to double the light as a diamond setup.

Examples:

"T" ranked TWOL Hotlips Luxeon 3.9v at 1300ma =5.07 watts
"S" ranked diamond Luxeon 3.5v at 750ma = 2.625 watts.

Normally you won't get double the Lumens with double the wattage but the hotlips setup keeps the Luxeon cooler and the T rank gives you more efficiency.

I'm also running 2 of my TWOL setups using 4D Mags and downboys set at 1200-1300ma. [The downboys are really meant for a smaller light] a simple current regulator would be more efficient. This gives you "full brightness" for much longer run times. Plus you can stick just about any batteries you have in it.

The other thing you can do is use a 4D mag in DD. Use 3 cells and a ball of aluminum foil by the spring or a dummy battery to eliminate 1 cell. This is a good setup as you can always regulate it later on. NEVER put 4 cells in in DD.

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened

If you go the Diamond, just don't let it run too long. There's no way the 3 watts of heat can get out of the Mag. At best it'll be relying on the thermal mass of the Mag metal globe assembly, though even that seems to be a poor connection. It'll work, but I bet it'll run stinking hot after a few minutes if it really is drawing 3 watts. Now that'll kill the LED real quick.

Go the Hotlips solution.

Chris

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I ran a Diamond through the battery discharge analysis machine a couple of weeks ago, but this test precluded me from measuring the temperature of the LED assembly.
It did not fail during this continuous-on test; that much I'm certain of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To measure the temperature, I'd have to get more D cells for the Mag Lite body it occupies, remove the bezel, turn it on, and then measure the temperature every 5 minutes or thereabouts.

Guess I know where I'm going today...Rat Shack for some new D cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Figure I'll do the test sometime this afternoon, and post my findings in this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Carbonium said:
I've done several TWOL 3 watt Luxeon mods to 3D mags and they all run 5-6 watts output in DD. Usually around 3.9v at 1300-1600ma with fresh Alk batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...I was actually thinking about resistoring to keep it at around 1000ma. What is the 3 watt designed for anyway? 750ma? What would the life expectancy of a 3 watt be @ 1300ma on a Hotlips?

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
Guess I know where I'm going today...Rat Shack for some new D cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Figure I'll do the test sometime this afternoon, and post my findings in this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Ok, the test officially began. Temperatures are of the lamp, at the collar where it is affixed to the Mag bulb receptacle, with the bezel (flashlight head) removed.
Measured at 5 minute intervals.

At 12:33pm PDT, the temperature is 69°F (20.5°C) (this was just before I turned it on).
At 12:38pm PDT, the temperature is 166°F (74.4°C).
At 12:43pm PDT, the temperature is 173°F (78.3°C).
At 12:48pm PDT, the temperature is 201°F (93.8°C).
At 12:53pm PDT, the temperature is 203°F (95.0°C).

This represents 20 minutes continuous burn time on a new set of Radio Shack Enercell alkaline D cells.
The lamp does get "burning" hot, so please don't operate your Diamond-equipped Mag without its bezel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Guess I'd better post this information on my Diamond web page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Holy crap! That can't be good for the LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Yeah, I think I'll pass on the Diamond...

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now your cookin'! Sorry...bad pun. Keep it up...you doing great but I don't think Diamond is doing so well. Does the light look an angry blue? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

The LED does not turn that "angry blue color" (the distinct turquoise color that an overdriven Nichia emits when it's really pissed), so there is no visual indication as to when the Diamond is running too hot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
If the bezel is removed, and you touch the Diamond, oh you'll know alright. Just not visually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see. So the Lux lights do not give a visual indication they are being torn to death. The only way to know is the touchy, feely, squeely.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

actually, any lux/leds will give some visual indication. your eyes just have to be sensitive enough to notice, depending on the degree of overdrive. Last night i was playing with one of my light. I thought i epoxied everything securely in a heatsink. Apparently, that was not true. When i turn the light on, it starts with a beautiful purplish white beam and it gradually changes to a purer white and to pale green white. The change occurs faster the more you increase the driving power. So yes, you can actually tell if your lux is being cooked or not.

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened

Let's be clear here....Diamond sells just the 3-watt LED, "bulb" or you can get the, "adapter" which should help alot with the potential cooling problem.

I was in e-mail contact with Diamond and they responded with:

Dear Perry,

The Led Adapter is an aircraft aluminum machined housing that also acts as
heat sink to control overheating providing lumination consistency over
lengthy use. It also houses the LED bulb and contains a quality Fraen lens
that great enhances the focus beam of the existing Maglight reflector.

Trust this is what you were wondering.

Best Regards,
Glenn

I'd go with the Adapter !

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened

4D maglite on left with new Batteries. 3D TWOL luxeon III hotlips DD on right.
The luxeon has a tighter smaller spot but it's so much brighter then the 4D that the image is overexposed and looks much larger. I used a white sheet that was not flat so the beams don't look round but they are.

maglux.jpg