Gerber/CMG Infinity Ultra

RtOaNn

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!
I wanna find out whether the new Gerber Infinity Ultra is the same as the old CMG Infinity Ultra because it states 100hrs battery time on the packaging for the former as compared to 25hrs for the latter.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
My (one) Gerber seems more or less the same as my other Ultras, clearly different from the Infinity.

I don't know what sort of electrons they're smoking at Gerber, but since these rascals are typically 200 to 250 mA, I suspect that no more than 12 or 15 hours out of a *maximum* 3000 mAh (alkaline or Li AAs, NiMH will be 2/3 of that) is all anyone will get.

Except the marketing types.....

Kind of a pity, really, that Gerber has to start out the relationship by playing us for fools.

Doug Owen

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RtOaNn said:
But Doug, TTS mentioned in this thread that both Infinity Ultras are different.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=581199&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=&PHPSESSID=

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I don't see that.

I see *several* times he says 'no difference' but not a single time he give a specific difference.

And for sure the ones I just checked are alike. Two Infinities (white and red) at 50 mA or so, two Ultras (a 'GI version' and a brand new Gerber marked one) are both the same as the others, 250 mA or so.

Like I said, I just did it......

Doug Owen

Can you enlighten me?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug - What kind of runtime do you get out of the red Infininity? Is it substantially longer than the white or similar?

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RonM said:
Doug - What kind of runtime do you get out of the red Infininity? Is it substantially longer than the white or similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Interesting question, though. Given the normally very long run time of the white, the only way I may ever find out is to intentionally run a couple of cells down in side by side testing.

So far, I guess I'm not curious enough to set it up? For sure the white Infinity (non Ultra) goes a very long time, I'd expect the red to go at least as long......

Doug Owen

paulr

Flashaholic
Just measuring the battery current for both versions should give a reasonable indication.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
A want a long running red LED to hang in the cabin of my boat at night. Best I can remember, the Infinities state the same runtime for the various colors, but it seems to me that some colors, like red, should last much longer.