Made a fixed focus 3D maglite, by "accident"

Raymond

Enlightened
Made a fixed focus 3D maglite, by \"accident\"

I received my goodies from litho123 this week (see the b/s/t section). I ordered a carley 805, a carley medium orange peel reflector and some WA bulbs.

The carley 805 is a very "long" bulb, with the wire way up in the bulb. Here's a comparison between the standard bulb and the carley:
lampjes.jpg

It means that when you simply replace the standard bulb with the carley, it isn't possible anymore to focus the light into a narrow beam.

I replaced the stock reflector with the carley one, after I made it to fit:
reflector.jpg

When I assembled the head of the lamp, I placed the carley lamp into the holder, but didn't mount the ring that holds into place:

geenring.jpg

I remounted the head of the lamp, and because the bottom of the new reflector is still flat:

achterkantreflector.jpg

it pushes the lamp holder all the way down, and lets the head of the lamp just peak over the bottom of the reflector:

lamp.jpg

which makes for a nice narrow stream of light, which is also noticeably brighter than the stock maglite bulb.

I will order a flashlightlens, and when I mount that, I will find a way to mount the 10W WA bulb.
(which will probably mean I loose this nice way of mounting the carleylamp).

I need some spare parts for that. Anyone who can help me with that? I need a replacment plastic reflector, and also a new battery-spring. (the standard version puts too much pressure on 4 C-cells. I would like to make a shorter spring, but don't want to destroy the one I have now)

litho123

Enlightened
Re: Made a fixed focus 3D maglite, by \"accident\"

Hi Raymond -

Nice work!

re: spring... with some lights, I've reversed the spring, installing it in backwards. Sometimes I have to scuff the inside of the tailcap to complete the circuit.

With others, I've soldered a small spring onto a washer that fits where the spring snaps into the tailcap. I use a little electrical tape on 1/2 the edge of washer to keep washer snug in tailcap.

Hope this might help you.

Greg

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hate to break this to you, but your Carley bulb is seriously messed up. When Carley potted these bulbs, they should all have been done with the standard LCL. That means the filament to tail length typical of a "regular" flashlight bulb. It looks like they didn't seat the base of the raw bulb far enough down into the PR shell. Here is a picture of one of my CL805s. It is next to a slightly toasted Mag 3-cell bulb for comparison. I think you have reason to ask for a refund or a brand new bulb that will work as it should in any given flashlight.
cl805compare.jpg

Wilkey

Raymond

Enlightened

ai, that's a shame.

Litho: Let me know if you're going to contact carley /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif