Who else has access...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
...or cares anything about seeing and photographing military aircraft?

Via a 60-300AF lense on an EOS650 Canon Body, or a 70-210MF lense on an AE1 Body I get to take pics of cool stuff!

Today the 124FS Squadron Aircraft (F16C) from Des Moines, Iowa ANG showed up at Ellington Field. Also there was the 33TFS T-37B from Vance AFB ,OK, a T-6A from Laughlin, and a T-38A from Vance.

Met up with one of my cool buddies from years past (we were known as the Fleigerboys until about 2001). Got the scoop on a couple other FBs as well!

A rather nice day out in the world!

Who else shoots?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love photography however my budgets limets me. i have a old pentax k1000 with a few lens.and a canon a70 digital

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I love WW2 aircraft and I love photography. Just never have been able to put them together. There is an air show that features WW2 aircraft that comes to a town about an hour away from me every year. I never had the chance to go and was going to go this year but got sick. I am looking forward to it next year and you can bet I will stock up on film. I have an old Minolta Maxxum 3xi with a 35-80 and a 70-210 lense. Thing still takes great pictures. Everytime there is a family get together I am asked to bring it. But like raggie my budget limits me also. If it didnt I could take a roll of pictures everyday.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
What really happened to me about the end of 2000 is I had so many rolls undeveloped that I was overwhelmed.

Many of them will never be processed as some are too old, and I am too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Oh well, it was fun taking them!!!

Anyone else have modern military nearby that you can actually get photos of?

was_jlh

Enlightened
I don't photo them, PJS, but I do enjoy them. Specifically PaveLows and WWII era such as Corsairs, Spitfires, and BF-109s.

Do you ever post your photos? Would love to see them.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a digital camera that is no good for shots like that, and no scanner to get hard photos up.

I have an Imagestation account, but don't remember the password, and IS kinda hoovers anyway...

So no, no photos posted as of yet.

Spec Ops CH47s were here a couple weeks back. I never got a pic of them...

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camera's, Planes, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I have a Canon EOS D60.

I haven't yet photographed any planes, but I do have various flight simulators. F22 is my favorite.

udaman

Banned
Well we have retired high-levle military personnel here in So. Cal. who have gone into business after their military careers and made fortunes. Quite a few P51's at Santa Monica Airport...along with Gov. Swartzenegger's Gulfstream sitting there. The occasional WWII bomber will crash at Van Nuys Airport too.

Love the sound of those multi-cylinder WWII prop driven planes. Used to see, and hear the thunder of the throaty Bearcats, monster beasts of an engine stuffed into front of them. Most have been crashed though, racing at Reno at near the speed of sound. Multi-million dollar historical speed demons of their time. Fewer and fewer still around. Occasionally you read about them crashing on take off or landing. Haven't seen an ultra-rare P41 in a long time.

Wait, I'm getting my numbers mixed up, which is the P-xx 'Lightning'...the twin-engined demon that can go supersonic in a dive?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
PBJS...i dont take too many photos, but i have the Yankee Air Museum about 1 mile away. i routinely see WWII bombers and fighters flying around.

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/

B52, B-24's and B17...oh my!

they are beautiful planes.

the YAM is located at Willow Run airport. the Hydra-matic plant used to be the B24 bomber plant here in Ypsilanti.

http://info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm?id=73&category=locations

my mom recalls having to blackout all light at night due to the threat of attack on the bomber plant. it was a very high-level target of the day.
at the peak, they were pumping out 650 airplanes/month!

i grew up even closer (with mom)to the YAM--about 1/4 mile away. i always had front row seats to the Blue Angels' and other air shows.
my dad was a retired Marine, so we shopped at Selfridge ANG--and i loved watching the F-16 and F-4 zip around.

i never tire of the thunderous throaty rumble of a B-25,P-38, P-47 or P-51 (they visit YAM frequently). the B-17 has to be seen AND heard to be believed!!!!!

Bob

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Oh man! The F4 Phantom.

We used to sit at Ellington just after it stopped being an AFB. Before any of us had a scanner, we might be sitting there zoning out, looking at pictures or something.

I would get chills and yell out Phantom before anyone else knew they were coming! It sent chills up and down my spine when they did that howling moan in the break!

There already weren't too many left in the Air Force. RF-4C's from Nebraska were regular visitors. F-4S (Navy or Marine) birds from Dallas would show up. Not even a year later our own 147FW was already in F16A's.

The Airshow here on a rainy weekend in October usually is a big WWII airplane show. It's all in pieces now, but the B-17 "Texas Raiders" was based at Ellington too.

The big thing now among private owners is ex Soviet Block fighters and trainers like Mig 17 and 21 and L-39. A Mig 21 in the break is pretty cool!

I dropped off 3 rolls of film at Eckerd. They were all from late 1995 and there is a pretty good chance they won't come out. I'll know tomorrow.

OH! One year here at the Airshow we had an AVRO Lancaster bomber! If you think a Merlin V-12 sounds cool in a Mustang, you should hear 4 of them together!!! If I can dig up a pic of that, I will get it digitized and posted!

<<<Edit>>>: I found my shots of the Lanc. All flying shots and all well before I had a long enough lense to do it justice. No point in posting it. Besides you couldn't HEAR it anyway!!!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ahhhhh yes! The F4 Phantom II!! That was my first bird to learn avionics on in 1976-1981..then branched out to many, many others in the ole' USAF inventory. However the F4E will always be my baby!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I am a fan, don't shoot much anymore but I get this view of the "Blues" twice a week for 8 months of the year. Shots taken at work March 31 of this year. Shots were cropped and blown up. Canon 10D, Canon 75-300 USM lens. It's my wife's camera. My camera is a Canon 60 for work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
0330040010A.jpg
0330040013A.jpg

Back about 82-86 I shot quite often at Kelly AFB in San Antonio. One day as we were leaving I saw an aircraft on approach I had never seen before. We were right at the end of the runway when I jumped out of the car and grabbed a shot as it flew over us at about 100'. I was super lucky to be able to swing the camera and keep the shot centered. I liked the shot so much I had it blown up to 8x10, the only shot I ever blew up and framed. The Aircraft was an A-6 Intruder. Here's where it get weird. It was from a Marine Squadron in North Carolina I would end up being assigned to 4 years later. I hadn't thought about the photo in a long time so it was a guy in my Squadron who asked me when I took the picture when he was at my house. That was when I put it together it was the same exact plane I had been flying for the last year. I doubled checked the tail numbers the next day just to be sure. I still have the photo somewhere but my wife didn't hang it when we bought our new house 8 years ago. It still seems weird to me after all these years.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i used to live near dobbins air force base and lockhead .it is the lockhead where there building that new milatary jet i forget name though.but i used to love watch them doing touch and goes at the air force base.didnt get chane to see new jet though

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
And you still look up every time they go over don't you Dave? I don't think I could have ever seen them in F4's but there is a vision in my mind of the diamond with 4 Great Smoking Thunderhogs in it! I probably did see them in Scooters.

Sigman, I was never in. But whenever I think Jet Fighter I see an F-4E in my minds eye!

The Collins Foundation has an F-4D done up as the bird (I could have told you the name once upon a time!) flew in the Nam based at EFD. I have yet to catch it on a fly day however...

All the cool and funky stuff is almost gone. T-2's are about gone, A-4's very nearly gone, A-6's, S-3's, C-9's, F-14's won't be around much longer.

And we will get one new F-22 for what we could get 3 or 4 new build F-15's with uprated engines. And FA-18E/F with shorter legs and less speed will replace the 14's.

It don't matter anyway. ANYTHING the military does that seems like something they SHOULD do gets second guessed out the wazoo anyway!

SIGH!

I hope my pics turn out!