Photon LED breakage. Should I buy covert model instead?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm interested in purchasing a Photon 1 or 3. But I'm concerned about the unprotected LED breaking or being scratched while it is in my pocket with keys or change. Has anybody had this problem? Should I get the covert model instead? I'd like to use the Photon as a general purpose keychain light. How much usefullness is lost due to the LED housing on the covert model? Can the housing be removed from the covert model? Thanks!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I got PH2red and PH3white/covert. Both of them are UNDESTRUCTABLE. I put them through hell, and they come out just fine.

You can not remove covert housing; it does block all the "side" light.

I like my Ph3 better-cool micro cpu.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply. Have you noticed any damage or scratches on the LED of the normal P2? I'm worried that keys will break or damage the LED while it is in my pocket.

I'm leaning towards the P3 since it has the cool cpu.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have an original photon that has been on my keyring 5 or so years i think.
maybe longer.
this is before the screw design.
all surface features are worn smooth and led is "sandblasted"
still works just fine and the wear to the led diffuses the beam a bit.
btw when did the first photon hit the market?
i recall i got this one at the dayton hamvention in 96 or 97

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Hey, John.
I have another option for you. IMHO, a better one at that. If your worried about damaging the lens (which would be quite hard to do anyway), or scratching the lens, you can get what's called a "crystal photon 3".
Now, don't confuse this with the "ravin' party light" photon. The "crystal" model is the same as a covert, but with a CLEAR protective sleeve (as opposed to the black one in the "covert").
So, you have a sleeve to protect the lens, but not one that will block the peripherial light. The best of both worlds!
There is one difficulty, though. Most of the vendors that sell the photon at a discount don't carry this model. I've tried all on Brock's list, but to no avail. Some vendors say they don't carry it, others confuse it with the "ravin' party light", but don't get confused.
I ended up buying it straight from the Photon website (which is where I found out about it's existence to begin with). A bit high priced, but hey, no one else had it! Although after using it about 6 months, I think you'll be fine just buying a regular Photon 3.
Hope the info helps.

Brock

Flashaholic
I have had a P2 white on my keys for a couple of years and it gets quite abused. I haven't noticed any problems with lens scratching or cracking. I did have a P3 covert for a while, but it kept turning itself on so I went back to my good old P2. I prefer the covert style so I don't get the glare or side light spill from the LED.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a very short length of 5mm aquarium tubing to protect my photon2 LEDs. You can get a long length of it at walmart for about 2-3 bucks. Just cut a piece off so it is longer than the LED and slip over the LED. It's clear, so the light still gets out, but it's flexible, so it can take a heck of an impact. It has protected the LED on my keychain photons from numerous drops onto the asphalt.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenshiro. I have a P3 Crystal that I found on Ebay. Try there.
Doug. Damn good idea.
grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Phred... I wish I could take credit for it - it came from a very old CPF post.

BTW... If you like the "Covert" style, look into the Inova Lithium Microlight. The LEDs are recessed. Some cases are translucent which creates a neat glowing effect, but some are opaque and thereby "covert". The battery change is MUCH easier than the photon 2 (a ball point pen will do) and the new ones have a very easy to use constant on switch. You use your whole thumb to turn it on and off, not a fingernail.

I did a review of a new green translucent one on my site if you want to take a peek at the switch....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the responses!

Sorry for originally posting this to the wrong area of the forum. I'm not sure why I didn't post it to the LED section.

Kenshiro, thanks for the tip. I hadn't even thought of that!

Brock, I was wondering if the covert style shield would make the Photon more or less usable. I intend to have this attached to my keys or in my pocket to use whenever I need a little light.

Quickbeam, even though it isn't your tip, the tubing idea is great! Damage to the LED is something that concerns me since it protudes from the body. I read a review of another LED keychain light and the reviewer considered it to be an advantage to have the LED protected. I saw you review of the Inova Microlight but I've decided to buy a Photon 1 or 3. I'm leaning towards the 3 because of the dimming capability.

Thanks to everybody.