Memorial Day - Remember the True Meaning

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thank you to all the men and women, their families, friends and loved ones who have sacraficed to allow my family share in the freedoms of this great nation.

Grandpop, we all love and miss you. Thank you for serving proudly as in infantryman in WW-II.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well said nascar,thanks for posting it.id also like to extend my gratitude to all the men and women who serverd this country so well and sacrifced so much

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
As with any holiday anywhere, many folks will use their extra time to "party hardy", take a little road trip, and/or just relax at home away from the hustle & bustle of the regular work week.

Just hoping that all will practice moderation, safety, & common sense this Memorial Day weekend whatever your plans are and wherever you may be!

Please don't forget what Memorial Day stands for!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
T.I.N. -

Glad you posted this. I have a great affection for Memorial Day and a bit of a possibly unique affiliation with it.

When I was but a sprout, on May 30th these things happened:

School ended.

The pools opened.

It was time for the Indianapolis 500.

It was Memorial Day weekend.

It was my birthday.

I was born Memorial Day, May 30- still living.

"Memorial Day started after the Civil War. Often called Decoration Day, it was the day when families around the nation went to graveyards and placed remembrances (in those days it was more than just flowers and ribbons) upon the graves of those soldiers, North and South, who died in the Civil War."

Wilbur Wright. Grew up in Dayton, Ohio. Born on a lovely Tuesday, April 16, 1867 - died May 30, 1912.

The year following Mr. Wright's birth, General Order Number 11, designated May 30 as Memorial Day. This was to commemorate all American soldiers that fell in defense of our great country and our freedom.

In 1971, federal law changed the observance of this holiday to the last Monday in May and extended it to honor all soldiers who died in American wars. A few states continue to celebrate Memorial Day on May 30.

The second son of three, my older brother was born on April 16.

Last year, near the end of April, my dear 'ol Pop died. Notably, he grew up outside New Philadelphia, Ohio. A highly decorated World War II command pilot, (HUMP pilot. brightnorm knows about these guys.) he was born on a lovely Easter Sunday, April 16, 1922 - died Thursday, April 24, 2003.

He didn't die in battle but he did some flying over the HUMP (Himalayas).

cbiFlyingTheHump.jpg

So, I guess most of us have some kind of unique connection with Memorial Day. For me, I'm reminded that I was born and can live in freedom at the expense of those fine Americans that fought, died and departed before me.

God bless America.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Icebreak, some great facts tid-bits you have there. I too, share your birth date of May 30th. For me, I entered into this world in 1961. As a toddler, I would sometimes be sad on this day. It was difficult to be happy knowing what the day really standed for. Fortuneatly, my parents were able to keep the day in perspective for me. "Be happy because it's your day Ray, but don't forget the "other" meaning of the day". Over time, that sadness turned into joy and appreciation of the day. Of all the days in the year, what better day to share your birthday than the day this great nation honors it's fallen. Just typing this brings tears to my eyes.

Enjoy your day Icebreak, as I will enjoy mine. Happy Birthday.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's something else Ray. I can't think of another member I'd rather share birthdays with. Huh. That's really something.

As hioty toity as I talk sometime, I still know who Mark Martin is and where he's from. It's was raining in Indiana but it looks like it's blowing through . Hope we have a good race in the open wheelers.

It is a fine day to celebrate life and freedom. Happy Birthday, Ray. Enjoy your day too.

- Jeff

maverick

Enlightened
My salute for all those who fought for the freedom we have now. And not just Americans, but every nation who helped in the war effort. So my thanks to all those who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we may be free.

"FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH, IT IS ONLY NECESSARY FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING...."

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in a country where some people get upset about our military past. A big controversy stirs up every time the current prime minister visits the shrine commemorating the war dead.
Our military did disgusting things to other countries, Korea, China, Russia, US and many others during past wars. There is no excuse for that. But the soldiers who had no choice but to die for their country should always be remembered.

My respect to all of them.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Executive Mansion, Washington
November 21, 1864

Mrs. Bixby, Boston, Massachusetts:

Dear Madam,
I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant-General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the alter of freedom.

Yours very sincerely and respectfully,
Abraham Lincoln

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Saluting TIN, Icebreak and everyone else in this thread, as well as those who served... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
nekomane,
One of the most fascinating things I heard was tourism in Vietnam. Thousands of American Veterans of that war go to Vietnam to tour the tunnels and war zones. They do this together with the Veterans of N Vietnam and have dinners together and talk. It is a way for both sides to rid themselves of the demons.
I have talked to Russian soldiers in Somolia and we were very friendly towards each other. A few years ealier they were the enemy. The difference is as we talked, we attached faces to each other's prospective countries and things change. The respect is a professional one, we do not make the decisions on whom we must fight.
This day I remember my father, he finally received his memorial from WWII. He has passed into the sands of time but somewere he is smiling. He might be sitting with Veterans of WWII, people from Germany, Italy, Japan, Turkey, France, England, Soviet Union, Phillipines, Austrailia and Poland. The horrors of the war fade but the respect for each other remains.
The point is to remember the sacrifice of your countries soldiers, not the politics that lead to the war. An old friend of mine marveled in the tactics of the Japanese in Iwo Jima were he fought. There is no hate or bitterness in his voice, just a touch of sadness that it had to happen in the first place. I think he is in DC this weekend.
If the populace of a country wants to know if going to memorials for the fallen is not right. Ask the veterans that fought that war, not TV reporters that throw negativity on the screen for a living.
To the Veterans of WWII, this one is for you. Sorry it took so long.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you BentHeadTX,
I read and re-read your post several times.

[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
The point is to remember the sacrifice of your countries soldiers, not the politics that lead to the war.
There is no hate or bitterness in his voice, just a touch of sadness that it had to happen in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very important day for all.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy Birthday's!

I'd like to thank all of our troops, past and present, for giving us freedom. Freedom is never free.

Ardy

Newly Enlightened
And I personally thank and salute the men and women of our "Other Government Agencies" who fight beside our brothers and sisters in arms to keep our nation free, whos names we will never know.
God bless them all and God bless this land of ours.
Ardy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually some of those agencies have their own memorials, not public of course, just as there are some private memorials that some military units have.

This is in addition to the National Law Enforcement Memorial in DC and the Nat. LEO week, and Nat. Fire Fighters week, nd I think an EMT week as well. All are hard earned and well deeserved.