What do you "The Experts" think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barcelona

Newly Enlightened
What do you \"The Experts\" think?

First of all, forgive me for my awful English /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif Since I got my ARC LSH (2 years ago), I can asure that I've never seen such a wounderful light before. I REALLY LOVE IT. Like most of you, I was anxiously waiting for the ARC4+; when at last Peter launched it, I still waited for almost 1 year before buying it cause I thought some bugs would appear and that Peter will correct them so I would buy the "PERFECT" ARC4+; however, still now I keep reading here in this forum that people keep complaining about "this or that" in relation with ARC4+. Acknowledging all that, I couldn't resist any more and yesterday I ordered one ARC4+ from a dealer in Germany which I hope will arrive in 2 or 3 days to Spain. Now the question is: How do you "the experimented guys" think I will feel that light? Are all these complains real? Or people just like to complain and the light is really wounderful as the LSH was? Is it REALLY BRIGHTER than whatsoever the ARC TEAM produced till now (I ask this because I bought 1 of those new LSs with clickie and it was SO MUCH DEAMER than my old LSH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif) ???? Are all of those advanced functions really useful??? Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Ringleader

Newly Enlightened
Re: What do you \"The Experts\" think?

Congratulations on your ARC 4+ purchase. I have an LSH-S, a LSH-P and now have just received the Wonderful new ARC 4+ Rev2 Flashlight. I'm 100% confident you'll enjoy your new ARC 4+ which is much brighter than the previous LS models. I think of the new ARC 4+ Rev2 as a functional work-of-art EDC flashlight. Cordially, Richard...

Glenn

Enlightened

Barcelona,

Concerning the "advanced features" :
I do not use most of them BUT, the ability to set your OWN
Primary and secondary light levels is the feature that I
REALLY LIKE.
To me that is now considered a MUST in an EDC light.
Just the right amount of light needed for the task at the time.
No overkill and glare from too much light when it is not needed plus wasted battery power !
And yet more light is right there if needed.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Glenn

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Barcelona said:
First of all, forgive me for my awful English /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif Since I got my ARC LSH (2 years ago), I can asure that I've never seen such a wounderful light before. I REALLY LOVE IT. Like most of you, I was anxiously waiting for the ARC4+; when at last Peter launched it, I still waited for almost 1 year before buying it cause I thought some bugs would appear and that Peter will correct them so I would buy the "PERFECT" ARC4+; however, still now I keep reading here in this forum that people keep complaining about "this or that" in relation with ARC4+. Acknowledging all that, I couldn't resist any more and yesterday I ordered one ARC4+ from a dealer in Germany which I hope will arrive in 2 or 3 days to Spain. Now the question is: How do you "the experimented guys" think I will feel that light? Are all these complains real? Or people just like to complain and the light is really wounderful as the LSH was? Is it REALLY BRIGHTER than whatsoever the ARC TEAM produced till now (I ask this because I bought 1 of those new LSs with clickie and it was SO MUCH DEAMER than my old LSH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif) ???? Are all of those advanced functions really useful??? Thanks to all of you for your replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the very best judge of the product you purchase. Use it for at least two weeks, get used to it, and write a review of the good and bad points.

Dave Wright

Enlightened

It's a groundbreaking light - offering both high power and long life lower power. You never know what flashlight need will come up, so this flexibility is important.

It's not yet a perfect light yet. Some people don't like the switch action. Sometimes, with some batteries, the connection is spotty and the light switches off then pauses to go through its RFS sequence. From time to time the light appears to have a slight flicker. The Arc4 circuit runs at its highest efficiency in the medium brightness settings. The regular LS might serve you better if most of your use will be at high power. The Arc4 heats up quite a bit and runs through batteries quickly when used at high power. The Arc4 is noticeably more of a pocket load than the LS. The Arc4 has much high lux than the LS, but not many more lumens. This is because its hotspot it very tight. The Arc4 beam also has a nice corona for general illumination outside the hotspot. There are some conditions in which the LS beam is superior.

I really like mine though. When loading my pockets for the day I pick up the Arc4 when I expect to generally need medium or low power, and when my life will not depend on the light. These days I use it most heavily during night runs, going to the movies, around the house at night, evening strolls, and when camping (with backup light in pack). I don't EDC the Arc4 during the day because I usually use high power at those times.

Enjoy yours!

JohnJ80

Enlightened

If for no other reason that being able to set the brightness level is huge. As best I can tell, the LSH is about an 8 or so on the Arc 4's settings.

I use it on the dimmest mode for medical exams in the field (pupils) and to check on my kids at night. I have it set on 8 and 10 for the two dimmer modes and save the button hold for full bright.

It is an amazing light.

J

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

It took quite some time to perfect the LSH series, so don't expect perfection out the door with the Arc4+. Do I think you should get an Arc4+ now rather than wait? Absolutely YES. The longer you wait, the longer you miss out on the Arc4+.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Dave Wright said:It's not yet a perfect light yet. Some people don't like the switch action. Sometimes, with some batteries, the connection is spotty and the light switches off then pauses to go through its RFS sequence. From time to time the light appears to have a slight flicker.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not that true as much as I read here. The Arc4 Rev1 is almost perfect, so Arc already proved that they can do it. All this problems you mention are Rev2 ones.

[ QUOTE ]
The Arc4 circuit runs at its highest efficiency in the medium brightness settings.

[/ QUOTE ]It does not run at the highest efficiency on the top 4 settings, as there is efficiency sacrified for maximal brightness.

HesNot

Enlightened

I have #0684 of the first run of Arc4+ and mine has been perfect. Literally, not a single problem. The switch is not "clickie" but I like it and have gotten used to it. I have it set where the primary power is my approximation of an LSH-P, secondary is roughly at a AAA, and then you have the dimmest setting and a bright "boost" when I really need it. With those settings it is remarkably flexible. I still use my LSH-P quite a bit as well, the beam shape is different and for some utility uses I like the wider beam. Plus I run it on the 2xAA pack most of the time with NiMH which is about as inexpensive a light as is possible to run. There are differences and in every light there is a compromise. The 4+ beam is has a much tighter hot spot, which for some uses is really helpful. The LSH-P is still, to me, the best balanced light made (balance of brightness v runtime, spot v. sidespill, size v. power, etc...).

I find both to be incredibly useful lights and the two have more or less made my other lights obsolete. Every so often when I really need some throw I'll pull out the E2e, but it is infrequently.

simbad

Enlightened

Having a LSHF-P very bright I think it is the best light to compare an ARC 4+R2 with, I ve received my new Rev2 a week ago and last night, one more time, I ve been checking them both in front of a wall, the Rev2 is definitely brighter than the LSF and whiter also, considering that the LSf is a very tight spot with no sidespill the Rev 2 has a brighter smaller center with a nice corona, in my opinion, the Arc 4R2 it is more usefull than the LS, simply one more step in the technology.Also the color rendition is different, the LS looks greenish against the 4+.I love both of them but the size of the LS with the twisty tailcap is perfect for the pocket.
Like HesNot said above when I need throw I also get my E2e, those 60 yellow lumens are unbeatable, but only for 70 minutes.

Barcelona

Newly Enlightened

Many thanks to all of you guys for all your comments and answers. After reading your posts I am feeling much better for having done this 200€ investment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually I am still waiting for my ARC4+ Rev2 to arrive. Be sure that I'll be all the night playing with it (selecting my first and second optión, reviewing the advanced options, etc) and comparing it with my LS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll write down my comments and share what I've experienced with it with all of you friends. I have been reading the "online manual" and watching the videos and it seems really SIMPLE to understand, configure and use; I've never understood why some people have kept complaining all the time about the complexity of use of the ARC4+ menu. Anyway, when I get it, I'll set it up in just 2 minutes and start to play with my new light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thank you again to all of you for sharing with me your knowledge and opinion about this new ARC product.

Barcelona

Newly Enlightened

Hi friends. AT LAST it arrived /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now I own a precious ARC4+. I am really happy with it. The MENU was as EASY as I imagined ... I still don't know why some people COMPLAIN so mucha about that!!! The adjusting brightness level is something really USEFUL. As I told in my past post I have compared it with my "old" "veteran" ARC LSH and, in my opinion, the "veteran" won the "newbie" in terms of iluminating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll try to post some comparison pics for you to judge by your self. I've never posted any before and in this step of writing my comments I don't see any ICON and/or MENU for adding any pic in here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... lets see if it appears in the next step!!!

Barcelona

Newly Enlightened

I didn't work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've read the helps and FAQs and it seems that I have to host the pics somewhere before adding them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Can any one help me to do that???? ppplllleeeeaaaasseeee .. I would like so much to share these pics with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

simbad

Enlightened

Glad you have your brand new Arc4 Barcelona, enjoy it..
it is a really usefull light, how looks against your Ls?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Barcelona,
tjtech offers free image hosting for the cpf- here's a link to the instruction page-

tjtech cpf gallery

Good luck!

Barcelona

Newly Enlightened

SIMBAD: it is really a great light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif One more outstanding product from the ARC team!!!

FITZ: Thank you so much for the "link". Just lets see if I've done everything right and finaly I can insert those fotos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ARC4_001.jpg

ARC_LSH_001.jpg

ARC4_002.jpg

ARC_LSH_002.jpg

hhhheeeeeeyyyyyyy it worked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Forgive me for the pics quality; it was my first time and I didn't know how the take the perfect photo!!! But I think they could serve as a reference and give an idea! I think that my LSH is really EXCEPTIONAL and that it throws more light than any other LSH. Just look the pics and you'll see that the ARC+ has a more focused beam however it seems that my LSH give more useful light. What do you think????????

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm guessing that the top one in each set is the 4+ and the bottom is the LSH? Looks like the + has more throw and the LSH has more "spill". What level was the 4+ using?

Barcelona

Newly Enlightened

You are right Fitz!!! The Top one in each set is the 4+. The 4+ was being used at level 3. Do you also have some LS??? Are all the LS as bright as mine is????? When the LSHP came out I ordered one directly from ARC... I compared them same night it arrived .. and I sent it back to ARC next day cause my LSH "killed" its brightness and output.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an LSH-ST, but I don't think it's as bright as yours- you seem to have lucked out! I've been looking at a 4+, but I've got a Fire~Fly and a TnC AA coming now along with another Bob Dozier knife, so I'll have to hold off for now. Maybe when the Arc 5 comes out!

Status
Not open for further replies.