L4 on police duty belt?

traci

Newly Enlightened
I need to replace my Surefire 8NX on my duty belt. The batteries just don't hold up well and I am tired of replacing them. I really like my L4 and am thinking of just buying Pila's and a belt pouch and carrying it. I realize I will lose on throw, but that's what my big light is for. Any comments or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
Go for it.
My L4/PILA is my main duty light since I got it last September or so. Before I had a M2, but the output and close quarters effect on subjects /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif is much better with my L4 (your mileage may vary since not all L4's are equal in terms of output)
For nighttime my lighting needs are fulfilled by eihter one of the following (depends on mood)
- MagCharger with 3500mAh-NMHd and WA01160 (500 Lm)
- Surefire M3 with MN11 and PILA's (225 Lm)
- SureFire 8AX (not really any more) with 3500mAh-NMHd

One will not find me with my L4 on my belt, however /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Stay safe and welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif to CPF!!

Holger

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be aware that with Pilas, you dont get any moon mode. The protection circuit in the cell will cut power as soon as the voltage drops to 3v.

Keep track of how long you've run it, have a freshly charged one handy and you'll love it. The Pilas save you a fortune in running costs.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure that all the Pila batterys that you buy work with your L4. I have 4 Pila 168s and not all worked with my L4. You might have to put on a solder blob onto the battery (Top) to make it protrude a bit to get contact with the KL4's rather flat contact point.

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
i have my L4 in a bianchi accumold nylon minilight case. i think its made for minimaglites originally. works great. excellent light to search rooms/cars at night because of its broad beam pattern. i love it. its my favorite surefire light ever.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I noticed when experimenting with my new L4 is that I myself was more blinded by the white "wall"-like quality of reflected light when shining it in the confined space of a medium sized room than I was by the more focused light from my Millenium M2. I thought to myself, maybe this isn't such a good thing if I'm faced with an intruder situation in a confined space. The last thing I want is to blind myself. Personally, I wouldn't use the L4 inside in darkness for this reason. YMMV of course, but it was not an insignificant issue in my view. By the same token, outside the L4 is marvelous. This weekend in Big Bear Lake (SoCal mountains), I was lighting up much of the length of 100 foot tall Ponderosa pine trees while standing about 50 feet from their base.

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Just be aware that with Pilas, you dont get any moon mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very true!! How could I forget to mention it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
I deal with that by charging the PILA Batt. on a regular basis, no matter how much I have used my L4 and keeping a 2x123A-Power Pack handy.
Holger

Aten_Imago

Banned
Excellent point! .We did notice this in our evaluation of the L4 but due to the wide range of uses it might be put to- chose not to mention it since it's Wide Context Inclusive Illumination Window is what we judged to be a 'combination' beam and not a 'dedicated' tactical. Mind you- My Insight technologies M3 & M3X are twice as bright as the L4 and even more context inclusive - and they are dedicated tactical (Weapons) lights.So I don't know what to think. I guess we may be ready for a rappid zooming beam- maybe a slider for quick focus change? [ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
One thing I noticed when experimenting with my new L4 is that I myself was more blinded by the white "wall"-like quality of reflected light when shining it in the confined space of a medium sized room than I was by the more focused light from my Millenium M2. I thought to myself, maybe this isn't such a good thing if I'm faced with an intruder situation in a confined space. The last thing I want is to blind myself. Personally, I wouldn't use the L4 inside in darkness for this reason. YMMV of course, but it was not an insignificant issue in my view. By the same token, outside the L4 is marvelous. This weekend in Big Bear Lake (SoCal mountains), I was lighting up much of the length of 100 foot tall Ponderosa pine trees while standing about 50 feet from their base.

[/ QUOTE ]

tadbik

Enlightened
I use my L4 to backup our vehicle magcharger, only problem is, it's a bit too bright to read a driving license or similar in a very dark location. If they would make it with a 2 Lumen / 60 Lumen option and rechargeable it would be the perfect police light.

I added a Berkeley Point Mini Coil Lanyard for a perfect combination!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tadbik said:
... only problem is, it's a bit too bright to read a driving license or similar in a very dark location. If they would make it with a 2 Lumen / 60 Lumen option and rechargeable it would be the perfect police light....

[/ QUOTE ]

Don McGizmo has created that very switch which I'm currently testing. It is a little marvel!

Brightnorm

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
only other thing is, its hard to stick underneath your arm when youre writing. if youre talking specifically for police use, id make the light a little longer

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
One nice thing about the L4 w/ Pilas is that you can carry a set of 123's so that if the Pila dies, you just drop in the 123's and are good to go.

-Mike

BTW, if you are looking to part with the 8NX, drop me a PM.

traci

Newly Enlightened
I am starting to get convinced this is the way to go. Any suggestions on a holder for it. I need black basketweave. I am also concerned with light turning on in pouch, any problems? Thanks

jarris50

Newly Enlightened
traci,

I carry a L4 on my duty belt. I got a AA mag light holder in black basketweave. I soaked it in water then forced the light in and out about ten times then left it in the holder until it dried. Works perfectly. I've done three for friends all with great results.

Make sure you get a real leater case.

John

Latest posts