What baby gifts do you recommend?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Any opinions on the Boppy?

My wife and I loved the one we got for our son. She used it for many months to breastfeed and our son loved to sit in it before he could hold himself up. It seemd to get dragged to whatever room we were in and used in some way.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

My wife loved it for nursing when our daughter was real little.
Now my daughter loves it for the help it provides with the tricky task of sitting up.
The original model seems to go for $24.99 most places including Target.
I would say that it is an excellent gift idea.
Pat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great for dads too (when nursing with the bottle) and more secure than pillows.

Brian

Deanster

Enlightened

Yep - the Boppy is a 'must have' item for infants. We had two or three people had given us, and they all got heavily used. Highly recommended.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL, this place is hilarious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif YES, the boppy is essential. We own 2.

I only know one person who didnt love it, my sister-in-law ended up not using the one we got for her at all. i don't know why. But everyone else has loved it.

DaveT

Enlightened

Another recommendation for the boppy - everyone seems to love them. Only suggestion I'd make is get a gift receipt with it - they're popular enough that someone else may have gotten it for them already.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW, another baby gift that's been a big hit is a wipe warmer. It seems frivilous and downright dopey, but wipes coming out of the container always feel very cold, and it it gives parents' warm fuzzies when they can put a nice warm wipe on the baby's bottom. Everyone we've given wipe warmers to has loved them.

Banshee

Enlightened

May I also suggest the HALO Sleepwear "Sleepsack" Its a wearable blanket for infants and toddlers. At some point the baby will work his/her way out of the swaddling blankets...and they are too young for a blanket (possible smothering hazard) Try the sleepsack. Its a fleece "bag" with holes for the head and arms.

http://www.halosleep.com/index.cfm

My daughter loves hers so much we had to sew in an extension so she could fit into it as she grew up!

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Boppy - yes.

A competing product is the "My Brest Friend" pillow that is similar, but includes a belt. My wife likes it even better than her Boppy, but uses both.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

IS this going to be a baby gift thread now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thats OK!

Banshee, yes we had one of those things when we lived in wisconsin. The one we had also had a hole, like a big button hole, through the front and the back right between babies legs so that you could buckle them into the car seat wearing the thing (otherwise the fabric would bunch all up as you attached the center buckle)

Lurker, I think there are lots of different combinations of that product out now. We have 1 regular one, and one slightly bigger one with some velcro in back so that you can secure it behind you to keep the thing from moving. I can't remember if we ever used that feature though...

We've attended numerous baby showers over the last couple of years for friends. New parents always ask for all the garbage with with noise makers and tune players in it. Whenever possible we've always gotten them the versions without the noisemakers and tune players and there is nothing that will get on their nerves faster in the middle of the night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif When in doubt, for babies at least, buy the version of the thing that doesn't play a song! They have washclothes and blankets and everything else with a noise chip in them now. It's far too noisy in the nursery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The single most indispensable piece of gear we owned when my daughter was a newborn was the "bouncy seat" it had a D cell operated buzzer in the seat of the thing and this was the ONLY place she would sleep for several months. If not for the buzzer in that seat I would surely be dead now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The other thing that springs to mind that she liked was the fisher price "peaceful planet" aquarium thing. It has a light and water in it and the fish go round and round (runs on 4 C cells, easy (and vital) to use rechargeables) and reflects water patters on the ceiling and stuff. The other nice feature is that you can turn off the stupid sound effects. My daughter enjoyed very much staring at it and it gave me a few moments of rest when otherwise the only thing that would make her happy was my smiling face at 3am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (and it's hard to smile at 3am under those conditions!)

tech

Newly Enlightened

I didn's see this mentioned above, so I'll add it. The boppy is great for letting daddies (and/or) bottle feed as well...great bonding time!
T.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Hmmm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

My wife just returned the Boppy pillow she bought since she never really used it much. I haven't used it once since we had our daughter 8 months ago (wow, to the very day today!). We tried to use it when she was learning to sit up, but she learned so fast that she really didn't need it. Just didn't work for us I guess...

As far as the bouncy seat James S mentioned, we used ours so much when our daughter was younger that I took it apart and added a plug-in port so that we could run it from a wall wart to save $$$ in batteries (so I could use them in my flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif).

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be getting a gift receipt, so if they don't like it, they can return it. The sleepsack and bouncy chair are already there, but baby is barely a week old so she'll have to wait to use them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They need deals on diapers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll be changing the title so people can keep adding there suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LEDmodMan, please give me instructions on how to add a plug-in port. Everything seems to use batteries and that does get expensive!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Even my flashlights use batteries! I need one I can just plug into the wall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Latest posts