Klarus        

Thread: Any Tigerlight Updates?

Default Any Tigerlight Updates?

I really want to get a tigerlight with the next generation bulb. Any idea when they'd be out? Are the current bulbs really that bad? Where can I get the latest version, since tigerlight.net does not have the FBOP available...

Default Re: Any Tigerlight Updates?

Eric,

You might want to conider Jim Sexton's upgrades instead of worrying about the much discussed but long overdue next generation bulbs from TL. A WA01274 in a modified Carley RF1940 reflector from Jim will give around 360 lumens over the stock 275. Bulb life of about 40 hours and runtime of 40 minutes or so. The package will go for $18 + shipping with extra bulbs $6. This is the lowest level upgrade with others offering 520 and 800 lumens.

--Bob

Flashaholic

Nope, the the bulbs aren't bad. They may not be perfect, but they're not bad at all. The current gen LA is actually very good for a light that uses a smooth reflector. It's beam is very even.

any info on how to order the stronger bulbs and carley reflector for the tigerlight? I want in if its still open.

Manila,

Jim hasn't posted the ordering thread yet but indications are that it'll be in the next few days. Check the Mod light forum for TL Upgrade threads with plenty of information.

Catapult,

Don't disagree at all about the stock LA. Mine has the little bat wings but considering the tremendous output and throw it's easily ignored [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Bob

Thank you bald1

Flashaholic

BTW, the current gen LA don't have the notorious batwings, but even the batwinged LA from the previous gen had an acceptable beam.

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW, the current gen LA don't have the notorious batwings, but even the batwinged LA from the previous gen had an acceptable beam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmm.... must be with the $99 FBOP special they were shipped with Gen 1 LAs then. Oh well, no biggie since I'm gonna use some of Jim Sexton's options [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Bob

Having multiple lamps of all the "generations" I believe that Tigerlight has yet to solve their lamp problems. There is considerable inconsistancy within generations and some early generation lamps outperform later generation lamps. My best, whitest, most beautifully focused lamp is an early gen 2. Based on my experience a pragmatic policy seems to be to buy several and hope for the best. It's possible that my experience is atypical but after having owned nine or ten TL lamps I suspect that I'm not alone.

That said, I consider the Tigerlight a groundbreaking light (both FDBOP and OC versions) that delivers unmatched performance in its category.

Brightnorm

Flashaholic

Very true. For those who desire smoother beam patterns, the current gen LA, gen 4, tighens up the beam, therefore, reducing most visible beam artifacts typical of prior gen LA. Even though there are inconsistencies, this improvement is definately notable when compared to any of the prior gen LA. They've yet to resolve the other problems, but they're off to a good start by their significant improvement on the beam pattern.

Silver Moderator

Hello ERiC,

The TigerLight is a great light.

The beam quality is not perfectly smooth, and there seems to be variation from lamp to lamp, but I have to agree with Brightnorm when he stated, "I consider the Tigerlight a groundbreaking light (both FDBOP and OC versions) that delivers unmatched performance in its category."

The smoothest beam I have been able to observed was using the Streamlight SL35X lamp. Unfortunately, that lamp can not handle the higher voltage of the TigerLight. My next smoothest lamp is a custom "coated reflector" lamp from Chris at FlashlightLens. The stock lamps have some artifacts, but they are not that noticeable in actual use.

Jim Sexton's upgrades simply take the stock light a step further.

Tom