Big Ol' ELK behind my house

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big Ol\' ELK behind my house

Man, I was shocked. Went out for a little ATV ride this afternoon. Ran into this guy about 250 yards from my house. Darn, I wish I had the Nikon and the big telephoto with me at the time so I could have gotten a "closer" shot. I'm about 50 yards away here:

elk0050.jpg

Although they are pretty rare this far south, I've seen several Elk further from town, up by the ski run, up above our little lake and out on the Mescalero Apache Reservation, but never this close to town, even back when I was a kid and we were the last house before the forest. There are several houses just fifty yards up the hill, a busy road just 30 yards away, and town is FULL of people for the holiday, so I'm doubly surprised to see this guy here.

This guy had about a five foot wide rack. (maybe only four; I guessed six when I first saw him.) Even at four feet, that would be pretty big for around here. Wish I could have gotten a picture with him looking at me so you could judge for yourselves.

I also ran across a very weird plant further down the valley. I won't post it here to keep from bogging down the page, but here is the link: WEIRD PLANT

Anyone have an idea what it is?

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Re: Big Ol\' ELK behind my house

Very nice Elk. Its amazing how big his antlers are already and it is just the end of May. I would like to see how big they are in October. I have heard that an Elk's antlers usually grow about an inch a day.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not unless you are driving down the road at night really fast and one decides to cross in front of you.

They are basicly about the same as a very large deer.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually this particular small area has been blessed with the wettest early spring in decades. Most of the West is very dry (and the abnormal winds of the last few weeks don't help).

Nonetheless, in just our little "microclimate" the critters are better off (so far) this year than normal. The bears are staying up in the hills more than normal, and there are fewer regular deer down here this spring. So, I figure this guy was just passing through or "lost". Maybe he heard of the good sale on cabbage at Wal-Mart here this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not usually here in Southern New Mexico... Only at certain times of the year, and only with a special license which is usually pretty expensive and hard to get... In this area there are usually about 500 applicants for each license offered. They use a lottery system for the general public, and certain owners of BIG parcels of land get a few for hunting on their own land, which can re-sell for thousands of dollars.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

You know it's a mixed up world...wildlife management has done so much good in actually managing the herds, increasing their population by limiting hunts etc...then we build housing projects & industrial complexes all over their home range and where do they go? They are migrating to places where they've never been before...it's good and then again it's not.

I understand we are only trying to be sensitive and do the right thing as we push them out of their original habitat...but..

Elk and black bear that has been feeding on berries is some of the best meat I've ever tasted! I really don't mean that in a sarcastic way either!

Nice pic of a really pretty elk! Enjoy them that way while you can!

raggie33

*the raggedier*

man id love to see stuff like that.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heck, come on out Raggie... I'm planning on going up to Colorado again for a week of four-wheeling, camping and photography in about five days. Lots more elk up there than here....

If you don't have anything more important to do, if you can get to my place or to Albuquerque, you can come with me

maverick

Enlightened

I wouldn't want to **** this guy off! Those antlers look like they could do some damage!

raggie33

*the raggedier*

wow that would be great.but i have to save cash for a bit.get plenty of pics,thats beuatiful country i never been but saw pics.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Years ago in Colorado a girlfriend and I were walking in tall grass several miles east of Aspen off of Highway 82 when she grabbed me and motioned to be quiet. There was a deer who I guess was an "adolescent" because his antlers were pretty big but he somehow looked young (I'm not a hunter and not knowledgeable about animals).

Joan whispered "I'm going to stalk him" and wouldn't be disuaded. I remember it was very windy and it must have been blowing toward us because she was able to slither up incredibly close to him, seemingly almost within touching distance. I was getting alarmed when all of a sudden he kind of jerked and bolted right at her and grazed her powerfully enough to knock her down, which scared the hell out of me though she wasn't hurt. He disappeared within seconds and when she returned there was an ecstatic look on her face and even though she admitted to being scared when he charged she wouldn't have traded the experience for anything.

Brightnorm