Arc AAA (standard) Beam Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
I received my Arc AAA Friday, (extremely fast shipping!), and I notice that the beam has a bright center spot with a ring towards the very edge- is this normal? Also, I noticed that the beam "hotspot" is not exactly symmetrical. Has anyone else noticed this about their light?

JK

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES, that is very normal
every nichia (or any 20 degree leds) has that kind of beam, brighthot spot, smooth with a ring near the perimeter on the very edge.
beam hotspot may or may not be symmetrical, as the leds vary quite a lot, even between same bin/ plastic packaging.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, mine is that way also,
As a keychain light, it works very well although the beam quality (blue and brown) leaves something to be desired. The Arc AA with it's much larger reflecter has a much better beam. The Dorcy AAA has much better beam quality also.
I just remember that it is a keychain light and max brightness, max runtime and AAA batteries are what I bought the light to do. If I want beam quality in a single cell light, my MicroIlluminator utterly destroys all the Arcs I have. The MI luxeon beam quality is so good it makes the Arcs Nichias laughable.
My AAA is an EDC and the MicroIlluminator is not. All depends on what your priorities are I guess. If Peter would make a Luxeon AAA running at 100-160mA, you would get your beam quality.
What are the chances of Arc making a Luxeon AAA after years of suggestion? Anyone's guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree completly about the Microilluminator.
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said: What are the chances of Arc making a Luxeon AAA after years of suggestion?

[/ QUOTE ] Didn't Peter write that he will change the ArcAAA a little bit soon? This could be the opportunity to change a little more...

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
Cool, thanks for the replies. I also went through some of the FAQs and this also confirmed that my Arc is normal. I like it a lot!

JK

Status
Not open for further replies.