Longbow micra LED capsule+LB mini+Pila 168S=?

Forestwalk

Newly Enlightened
These modular Longbows made me thinking:

The LB micra is regulated but the LB mini is not. But what if one takes the LED capsule from the micra and puts it into the mini with the J.S.Burly's Pila 168S rechargable battery? These batteries are rated 3.7V so would this make a perfect combination or a flash in the, well, in the light?

albert

Enlightened
It should work perfectly. Go ahead and try it. But you must always remember not to put 2x123 into it. If not, you can kiss your Micra capsule goodbye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
It should work perfectly, if the Vf of your particular Luxeon is high enough. Otherwise the LED will be in direct drive. I would recommend to measure the current draw with a fresh Pila and then decide if you want to take the risk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Forestwalk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I guess have to get Pila 168s and see what happens (when I know I'm not going to need the micra right away..). This combination might have a pretty good runtime for a rechargable light. Yes, have to hide all 123s if it really works.

albert

Enlightened
Hello Mister T, there is no way for him to measure the Vf as the Luxeon is potted in some kind of black epoxy.

Forestwalk, no problem at all. Just go ahead and use it. I know someone using 1x123 fresh off the charger with 4.2v on the Micra.

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
albert said:
Hello Mister T, there is no way for him to measure the Vf as the Luxeon is potted in some kind of black epoxy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I know that because I own a Micra myself. That's why I proposed to measure the current. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Forestwalk

Newly Enlightened
Micra LED capsule+Mini+Pila168S = 208 minutes

Ok, I finally got Longbow Micra, Mini and Pila 168s. It turned out that Longbow Mini has a smaller opening between the LED capsule and battery and the Micra LED capsule has a small plastic rim that prevents it from fitting all the way into the Mini. A smart move from Longbow as it prevents people from driving the Micra capsule with two 123s. However, it is a few minutes work to cut the rim from the Micra capsule and after that it is a perfect fit with Mini (obviously do at your own risk etc.).

Anyway, this combination (Micra LED capsule in Mini with Pila 168s battery) is now my principal "serious" light. It barely gets warm and the regulation seems to be able to handle the initially slightly higher voltage (current is initially smaller and the brightness is minutely elevated during the first 30 minutes). And this must be one of the best regulated runtimes attainable with rechargables as I got two minutes short of three and half hours with the Pila (my Micra's runtime is 115 minutes before starting to dim). The only catch is that the Pila discharge protection turns off the light before it starts to dim. So it is like somebody switched off the lights.